NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well friends and experts, I just need your ideas on my latest problem. Since couple of days when I hit the brake strongly I feel some jerk on the steering wheel. So, not able to understand the exact reason behind it... any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
This is not the right section of the forum. Hopefully a mod will move this.

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Could be your caliper pins. They are what allows the brake assembly to slide back-n-forth on.

They need to be disassembled, cleaned and greased periodically.

I would start there to see if they are free and working correctly.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, really pleased to see your response, But i would like to mention one thing that when I checked all these things I just found some kind of rust on the caliper, So is the rust behind the problem ??

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
The rust could be behind the problem. It could prevent the caliper from closing and opening as it is designed to function.

Cleaning the caliper as mentioned above would be a good place to start.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I too think that cleaning may remove the dust as well the problem. I have planed to clean it form warm water and after that to paint it to avoid from further resistance.
thanks for your great advice.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Well friends and experts, I just need your ideas on my latest problem. Since couple of days when I hit the brake strongly I feel some jerk on the steering wheel. So, not able to understand the exact reason behind it... any suggestions will be appreciated.
I had the some issue when I first got my car and I totally swapped out my brakes and it still did it. I replaced all the motor mounts thinking it was a weak motor mount. But again, that wasn't the case. Turned out to be a worn out Lower control arm bushing. The rubber in that thing was almost completely gone. I swapped out the lower control arms with New ones from MJM Autohaus which had the Heavy Duty TT bushings already installed and BINGO. No more issues.
To me it felt like a sticking brake caliper but it was something totally different. Those LCA bushings have holes in them and over time they crack and wear out. If you get new bushings be sure to replace them with the Heavy Duty TT bushings. They last a lot longer and make a ton of difference.
Don't get Poly bushings they make a lot of noise and make your ride pretty rough I heard. Not worth it. The TT bushings are the ones to go with.

Good Luck!

Here are the Heavy duty bushings:
MJM Autohaus

I went with a set of these. Come complete with the Heavy Duty TT bushings already installed. Makes installation a breeze.

MJM Autohaus

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As you too have faced the same issue so you have the perfect idea of the problem. You are absolutely right I found that the break pad is worn out, so sticking to caliper. Going to get the same as suggested by you.
grateful to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But,Mr. expert,it would be more better if you would suggest me some of great tips, so that I can avoid these weird problem to be back in the future ??:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well finally I have replace the lower arm from MJM Autohaus and hope I'll not have any such type of issue in the near future...:)

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Gear news Jay, hope this fixes your beetle. Keep enjoying your car..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts