NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 NB with a Monsoon stereo. Three of the buttons on the stereo are not really working -- for instance, the "mix" button has to be practically hammered in order to work. Is this covered by my warranty? Could I get VW to replace it?

I have a CD changer (which I installed, thanks to the advice of this board) but I guess if VW won't replace the HU, my preference would be for a new HU that I could plug my iPod into directly.

Thanks in advance,
Lesley

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Well... ummmm... yes, I would imagine that the stereo is covered under a portion of the warranty.
However... the next big question is whether the stereo is covered under a portion of the warranty that extends past 2 years (your car is a 2003, and it's now 2005). My first inclination is to say "no", it is not. The problem with your MIX button not pushing in would seem to be a "wear-and-tear" issue (that's assuming that it used to work okay... since you didn't think to complain about it 'til now). And "wear-and-tear" is only covered up to the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, AFAIK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bah! I was afraid of that!

Well, I'll see what the dealer has to say. But don't be surprised if I'm asking for new HU advice soon.

-lesley

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Stereo buttons aren't normally subjected to wear and tear definitions. Wear and tear items are meant to be replaced at some point in time by time or mileage.. Normal logic dictates stereo buttons should last well past warranty expiration. My opinion is that this is covered by the warranty, as the buttons are defective.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had my stereo replaced under warranty. I didn't have any defective buttons but my LCD was bleeding and it was kind of hard to read the stations. Just go down to your local dealer and ask if the buttons are covered. You really can't loose anything by asking.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Photo said:
You really can't loose anything by asking.
That I fully agree with. The worst that can happen is they'll tell you it isn't covered. The best that can happen is they'll tell you it is.

Seems like it'd be worth a trip!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm a bit late hopping on this since you'll be at the dealer to check today, but I had a similar issue on my 03. Two of the programed buttons "stuck" and wouldn't pop back out. My dealer replaced the unit under warranty. Hope yours does the same for you :)

Melissa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry -- I forgot to check back in about this.

Turns out that the stereo is covered under warranty and the dealer is replacing it at no charge. They had to order the part, and it's going to be installed tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts