VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2001 New Beetle 2.0 I recently bought and the cruise control hasnt worked since the day I bought it when you turn it on it doesnt show anything on the dash. So i looked in the fuse box by the speedometer and there weasnt anything i could see relation to the cruise control.. Where is the cruise control fuses under the hood with the battery? Any help would be great thanks.

· ~Feel the Sting~
2,443 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a 2001 New Beetle 2.0 I recently bought and the cruise control hasnt worked since the day I bought it when you turn it on it doesnt show anything on the dash. So i looked in the fuse box by the speedometer and there weasnt anything i could see relation to the cruise control.. Where is the cruise control fuses under the hood with the battery? Any help would be great thanks.
Well, you say nothing shows on the dash, but have you tried using the cruise anyway? It's VERY possible that the light in the dash went out but that the cruise works anyway. Just a thought :D

· Registered
99 Posts
I didn't even know there was a light in the dash for cruise control, neither of mine have it. Anyways, it didn't work on my 2001 when I got it (which is a 5spd). If yours is also a 5 speed manual, check out the clutch switches, its not too unlikely that this is where your problem lies.

Good luck,

Matt

· ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,757 Posts
Hm.yeah.. i know there's a light on the cluster of a golf, but don't recall seeing one on the bug..

looked at diagrams.. couldn't find a fuse in the dash side panel, fuse on the battery, or a relay\fuse under the dash that mention cruise control specifically, not sure if there are any others... :/

· ~Feel the Sting~
2,443 Posts
Hm.yeah.. i know there's a light on the cluster of a golf, but don't recall seeing one on the bug..

looked at diagrams.. couldn't find a fuse in the dash side panel, fuse on the battery, or a relay\fuse under the dash that mention cruise control specifically, not sure if there are any others... :/
Hm.. every time I turn my cruise on I get a little green light on the dash.
See, I went and took a picture :D

And each of those symbols on the gauge cluster has a tiny light behind it that can be replaced if it burns out.

· Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO
2,843 Posts

And each of those symbols on the gauge cluster has a tiny light behind it that can be replaced if it burns out.
IIRC, those little lights are LEDs. And to answer the suggestion made earlier in the thread, the light should stay on if the turn signal stalk switch thingy is on... regardless of clutch sensor.

OP: Do you have access to anyone with a VAG-COM to try and pull codes?

· Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
Do your brake lights work? If the brake light switch is out, the cruise control will not work.

· turbo
1,044 Posts
my crusie worked untill i purposly broek a fuse so try and dissable my alarm system, but in the failed attempt, i destroyed a fuse to god knows what, ever since that, my crusie has not worked, i will check out what fuse it is and let ya know.

· Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
my crusie worked untill i purposly broek a fuse so try and dissable my alarm system, but in the failed attempt, i destroyed a fuse to god knows what, ever since that, my crusie has not worked, i will check out what fuse it is and let ya know.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't even know there was a light in the dash for cruise control, neither of mine have it. Anyways, it didn't work on my 2001 when I got it (which is a 5spd). If yours is also a 5 speed manual, check out the clutch switches, its not too unlikely that this is where your problem lies.

Good luck,

Matt
Thank you to everyone who has tried helping me.. An Update... There is no lights that come on when i turn on cruise in my beetle. My first new beetles did though, and I have tried it just doesnt work at all. Where would I find these clutch switches at :), because my car is the 5 speed manual thanks again :)

· Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts

I've NEVER seen that light!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Good luck,

Matt
Thanks Matt for that great answer, mine is as well a 5 speed mt.... sorry to sound like a newbie could you tell ne where the clutch switch is at?

· Registered
21 Posts
bump.... can someone answer ^ this question? I'm a newbie too! Also, if this issue requires a replacement of the LED behind the "cruise" indicator of the instrument cluster, does anyone know of a tutorial? I've been searching for the last few hours and haven't found anything yet for replacing just one of the lights. Thanks for any and all help!

· 5/23/10 <3
11,764 Posts
Hubby's '01 Jetta doesn't have a light either. I think it was added mid-2001 or 2002.

· Y2K Speedle
1,089 Posts
Hi everyone, here is my case with cruise control not working. My 2000 2.0 manual vas in
garage, forgoten for over a year. When I jump started it it was idling at 1200 rpm, temperature
display was off, cruise did not work and air bag light was on but it was running and I drowe
it for 4 months like that. No check engine light. Last week I claned air filter, MAF and super dirty trothle body, replaced one wacky wacuum hose, filled up engine oil, went 160km/h and still nothing. Today I found out online that there is a procedure to align TB ( trothle body) and then I remembered I have done it
before.
Disconect batery for 15-ish min, turn the key to just before starting the engine and listen :) You will
hear fuel pump and then after almost a minute, tiny buzzing just under wipers. Wait for it to finish with a click, and strat the engine.:D
Now bug is back to 700-800 idle rpm, temp display is back, cruise control is back and overall... purrs like a kitten, runz like a ... well..I was about to say jaguar bit it's 2.0 :)
Airbag light is still on.

Hope that helps

cheers

· Registered
18,836 Posts
Well, seeing that your car's battery was probably dead, for the year; it most likely lost its throttle body alignment settings and they is why a number of things were goofy (idle, cruise, etc.). Your throttle body clean and "poor man's" throttle body alignment; probably did the trick. For the airbag light; I would recommend you get a cheap vw scan tool like the VAG405/VAS450 or the higher end VAG401 on amazon (the vag401 does a throttle body alignment). With one of those tools; you can get the vw trouble code and see what is wrong with the airbag/SRS. The most common problem; is wiring harness issues, under the driver's seat or the belt buckle receiver. Good job on the repairs! :)

Note: I had my car in storage for awhile; while I repaired my transmission and when it got back on the road, the cruise control was acting goofy (it had a poor connection in the switch; causing it to go off/on). I was able to fix that problem; by spraying some CRC electronics cleaner, in the switch on the lever and that fixed the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.