VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests.

I didn't see anything in the write ups. But with any luck we will be changing out the starters in our 2001 Beetle avh 2.0 engine with a manual transmission.

The one we got at the U Pull yard tested fantastic at the auto parts house. Our current one likes to have the gear a bit sticky and it creates quite a speedowhine sound 20% of the time we start it. I know we could just remove it and deep clean the bendix gear. This just saves me the trouble of removing it...cleaning it...reinstalling it...testing it..and hope it works.

When we pulled the one from the yard it had both the inner fender shield already removed, battery, power steering hoses/tank... So it was extremely easy to access. Ours? Of course still has all the stuff installed.

Just wondering what the best method is to replace it. The shop manual was less then helpful in that respect.

Thanks All!

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting read. The guide crosses over to the beetle as well. (great reference material)

That makes much more sense then the haynes manual. That one states to raise the car and remove the lower engine guard. (it states nothing to be done on top of the engine, other then pulling the battery cable for safety) I can see that being done to reach the lower mounting bolt, but the upper one would have to be dealt with and that's clearly where the service manual is of better aid.

Hope it's not to long a job to pull off. I also have to replace the heater blower (I have a lot of practice on the salvage yard ones LOL) And a rear caliper that has a sticky parking brake lever. Should be an interesting day.

Thanks again!

S-

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
diy

I am no expert or have a DIY for the starter but noticed this past weekend that it was very easy to access it after I removed the battery and battery tray. Also might be a good Idea to remove the bottom plastic splash shields for better access from both sides, it's all strait forward from there just remove a few bolts and starter should come out.....piece of cake man.:D

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must have been a piece of "Pound" cake.

It's all done. Starter is in. No need to remove anything from the top at all. With 2 people it's doable. The wife guided the socket from the top, and I went to town trying to break the bolts free. We coated the bolts with anti seize when we put them back in.

Starts up pretty good, so far without the Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee... after it starts running.

The only huge PITA would be the cooler lines under the transaxle. Makes it hard for someone with large hands to work in.

If the battery and tray where removed? It's a simple job for one person. Just didn't want to fight with the battery tray.

S-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts