NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've recently found this forum, and I have an '06 gasser and it's got nearly 130k (129.5k I think) and that's when I heard that you should be worried about timing chain issues. This car seems to have been serviced to death by the first owner to about 88k, but ended up being a repo car to about 114k. Is there any way to know if this is happening other than to just take off the timing cover and looking? The car starts and seems to run fine other than the check engine light which is the MAF (which I haven't gotten around to replacing yet)

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
Which engine do you have; I am assuming it is the 2.5L 5 cylinder? I believe, you can use VCDS by Ross Tech; to do a output test and this will indicate, if the timing is off. Many have said, 100/150k; is a good time to check and possibly replace the chain, tensioner and all related buffers that wear. Chain stretch and tensioner failure; is a know issue, on the early versions of the 2.5L and if it fails, it will be catastrophic, causing the valves to be bent. VW revised the chain/tensioner; to address, the failure of the early design. If you have any trouble codes; please, post what you find and we can go from there. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
billymade
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing