VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like fitment wise? I have a '99 and a lifted Silverado backed into my car the other day smashing the glass, spoiler, and hatch lid in. My local pick and pull yard only had Beetles with that factory built in spoiler on the glass. Mine does not have that. Will I be able to bolt one of those onto my car? I don't care if the spoiler doesn't work, I'm just sick of driving around with a plastic for a rear window. If there is a way to get the spoiler to function that would be cool but not important I'm just looking to see if the whole hatch will bolt on without issues. I'm planning on just doing the swap right at the yard and scrapping my hatch while im there.

Oh and by the way.... if your wondering why I don't just take it to a shop and let the insurance company take care of it, its because the guy just took off and his plate had a tinted cover on it so the security camera could make it out.

Nice....:(

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Perhaps, the hatches are exchangable between 98-05. But, 06-10 will not do. Redesign and no fit to earlier NBs. :eek:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well, there is a difference in the rear badge latch. In 2002 the key was eliminated and the electronics are different in some respect according to the Bentley schematics. I'm currently dealing with a hatch that hasn't worked since I bought the car and it's a 2002 turbo . I'm not sure what you found at the yard but opt for one that has your setup to be sure as the stamping on the hatch won't allow you to put the swivel latch from your car ( assuming you have a pre 02 car ). Regarding making the spoiler operational, that may be more difficult than it may seem as I have had to deal with a non operational sunroof and found the spoiler is tied into that system somehow, it has a manual switch under the dash but I believe that is controlled via the comfort control module. There is a lot more going on with it that just on and off. It raises on my car at 50mph and retracts when the car comes to a stop. In the old days auto manufacturers would put the same wiring harness in a car and use what they wanted and left the rest hang. Not so on the Beetle and the wiring you need isn't there to plug and play. The 06 - 10 hatch may be adaptable but I haven't played with a New Beetle that new yet to know - and odds are you won't find one in the pic and pull either lol

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
The 2006-2010 is a completely different shape. Bigger. You cannot "adapt" it to fit an earlier year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts