NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard from every mechanic and vw enthusiast that despite being fixed twice already, that my passenger side window regulator is doomed.

is this true?

i drive a 98 automatic with a plethora of problems, but the duct tape holding up my window is really getting old.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Steeler ship replaced both of mine for free in my 99,over 12 years ago. That was also a hundred thirty thousand miles ago and I haven't had a problem with him since. Just fix it, and don't slam the door while the window is rolling up or down.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Well, it is a repairable situation; take it apart and fix it with a repair kit or just buy the whole assembly (the repair kit is cheaper). This is assuming the window motor is still working correctly; most of the time the regulator fails (window falls down, clips/cables break, fall apart)There are aftermarket kits out there; I would buy a quality genuine vw one for long life and superior original quality parts. You can get them at your local VW dealer or places online.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--2.0/Search/Window_Regulator/

Here is a basic video of the repair process:

How To Install Replace Broken Power Window Regulator Volkswagen Beetle 98-10 1AAuto.com - YouTube

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've used the window regulator repair kit (from VW Parts Department) on both front windows of our NBC. Follow the "how-to" videos/instructions and it's really not that bad. The only problem is that I was told by the VW Parts Department that they will NOT refund any money on a window regulator repair kit. Apparently, they've had too many customers who are not successful with the repair attempt try to return them.

One thing to note, the regulator repair kit comes with a pin you pull out after the cable is properly installed on the frame. For lack of a better description, the pin looks like the pin you'd see on a hand grenade in a movie. If you accidentally pull the pin too soon, I think you'd be in big trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts