NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I have a 2000 beetle. This morning, my mom found this bolt in the driveway after I left. She thinks it's from my car. It was under where my front passenger side was.

Does anyone know if this is from my car? It is 2 inches long and about .5 inch diameter. Its very heavy. It's a long bolt that seems to have snapped right where the threads start.

I'm not positive that it's from my car, but my boyfriend says it could be a bolt from the suspension or from the brakes.

Also, I drove the car today before my mom found the bolt; nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I don't have the gear to jack my car up, so I have not taken a look underneath.

Does anyone recognize what this bolt could be? Any suggestions/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
bolt

It indeed looks like a caliper bolt from the rear brakes. You might want to have somebody check those.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It doesn't look like a caliper bolt from the New Beetle, though. It shouldn't have the hex head. It is probably from some kind of heavy-duty vehicle.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It doesn't look like a caliper bolt from the New Beetle, though. It shouldn't have the hex head. It is probably from some kind of heavy-duty vehicle.
Yes, it looks huge. Probably from a truck.
Put a wrench on the end of that thing, if it is 18 millimeter head then it came from a Chrysler or Ford product. If it is a 19 millimeter head then it came from a General Motors product. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've taken apart the brakes, suspension, control arms, ball joints, and a bunch of other things on my Beetle and the only bolt I can think of that might be close to looking like that would be a caliper, but that is definitely not a caliper bolt from a beetle.

Another bolt it looks like is the pinch bolt used to secure the strut at the bottom to the hub assembly on the front wheels. But it's not quite right. And that may indicate that someone repaired the vehicle without using the correct replacement bolts and parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your suggestions! I took the bolt to an auto part store. The guy there said it was absolutely a caliper bolt, but he looked up the ones used in my car and it's neither of those; in fact, the back ones arnt a bolt, but a pin. He also says I would've felt a difference right away in my car, which I didn't.

I'm happy with this for now, only worrisome because I have no idea how this bolt got in my garage when I'm the only one who parks there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts