NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New poster here! :)

I have a question about Turbo behavior.
Is it normal, after warming an automatic engine, to have to rev the engine quite a bit in order for the car to actually start driving/be set in motion?? Once it hits 3000rpm the car will "kick in" and start going. Once it IS going, it drives great. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if this is a sign of a problem. Thanks for any insight you might have!

·
Im Just Me
135 Posts
Turbo

Are you saying after you put the car in gear you have to rev the motor to get it moveing???If you are the turbo has nothing to do with the transmission you better get it to the shop!!! Sound's like you have a transmission problum.Sorry to say :( Sound's like you have a valve body problum in the transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello. Thanks for the reply. Yes, after it is in gear I have to rev it to get it moving. This only happens when I start the car for the first time in the morning. The rest of the day it is ok. Hmmm...I will do some research on the valve body thing that you mentioned. Guess I better get it looked at.

·
Im Just Me
135 Posts

If he is like some of us here. How can he check the transmission fluid when it is a closed sys with out a dip stick.Or vw tools and software to do it.:confused:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello. Thanks for the reply. Yes, after it is in gear I have to rev it to get it moving. This only happens when I start the car for the first time in the morning. The rest of the day it is ok. Hmmm...I will do some research on the valve body thing that you mentioned. Guess I better get it looked at.
Sounds like there isn't enough line pressure which could be due to low fluid levels or torque converter or valve body issues. If the fluid is low there has to be a reason. Check for leaks and have the transmission and related parts pressure tested.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If he is like some of us here. How can he check the transmission fluid when it is a closed sys with out a dip stick.Or vw tools and software to do it.:confused:
If it is a sealed system you can't check it yourself you need to take it to a dealer or VW authorized service center. I wouldn't wait. If the transmission is running on low fluid it will quickly overheat and burn up the automatic clutch disks. I believe a new automatic transmission is more expensive than the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you know there is a warranty extension that pertains to the transmission valve body? I got my letter from Volkswagen of America back in November that I could take the car in and have them look at/test the transmission for the valve body problem. Of course all prescribed service has to have been performed etc, etc, etc. But check into it. It is worth a shot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like there isn't enough line pressure which could be due to low fluid levels or torque converter or valve body issues. If the fluid is low there has to be a reason. Check for leaks and have the transmission and related parts pressure tested.
Thank you for your input. I haven't gotten my car in to a shop yet, so it's good to have these suggestions as to what the problem might be.

When I bought this car, the seller told me that the transmission had been "serviced", and at the time I had no clue that the New Beetles have sealed transmissions and often have transmission problems (I'm not car savvy, and I'm also new to VW). So, everyone's info on here is really appreciated!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you know there is a warranty extension that pertains to the transmission valve body? I got my letter from Volkswagen of America back in November that I could take the car in and have them look at/test the transmission for the valve body problem. Of course all prescribed service has to have been performed etc, etc, etc. But check into it. It is worth a shot.
I didn't know this, but I'm guessing that the warranty extension applies to original owners. My NB is a 2001, and I bought it used. But, I appreciate you mentioning this. Did you have transmission problems and look into the issue, or was the letter sent out to NB owners in general? Hope you took advantage of their offer! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,076 Posts
The extension applies to any owner, original or not. But it only goes back through 2003 unfortunately.

·
not compensating
24 Posts
it can be checked required materials

cheap vag clone $10 ebay
have trannyfluid on hand
level vehicle
warm engine to i think it was 80
remove the drain plug but not the orange tube inside (unless your doing a flush as this will empty it out )

it should trickle out only slightly at temprature if nothing comes out add if its rushing out youve added to much

i redid my solenoids and it took me two trys to get the level just right for good driving

ive also read that the "lifetime transmission fluid" and the filter should be changed every 60K ish

overview or process with pictures

1 - 12 of 12 Posts