NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced alternator in 03 Beetle yesterday. Now air bag system light is on and electrical plugs in console area dont work. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Was the car towed due to a bad alternator?

Was the car jump started before the alternator was replaced?

Assume battery was disconnected where alternator was removed??

Likely coincidental?

As for the airbag light, you will need a tool to read and try to clear the airbag light. Most likely you will need a new drivers side seat belt buckle or the wiring under the drivers seat repaired?

You will need this tool - Amazon.com: Car Code Reader Scanner VW/AUDI SCAN TOOL MAXSCAN VAG405 VAG 405 OBD II OBD 2 EOBD2: Automotive

You should order this TODAY! Lowest price I have seen it so far @ $38.55. It will pay for itself MANY times over.

As for the other problems, check the fuses on top of the battery, make sure nothing is discolored or blown.

Also check all the fuses in the main fuse panel as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was jump started twice actually before the alternator was replaced. Air bag light came on after about 5 miles of driving after replacement.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Jump start may have had something to do with the problem.

In any event, you will need a scan tool that can read and reset airbag codes. Maybe you can get away with a simple reset, maybe you have a problem?

You WILL NOT be able to get any shop to look at the airbag code or reset if for under the cost of the tool I linked above, so buy it now!

You will thank me later, especially if you find out you have a seat belt latch problem, over $300 at the dealer, DIY with the purchase of the scan tool and parts for less than 1/2 of the dealer!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts