NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My name is amanda. I own a 2002 vw beetle gls 1.8T she's the limited edition orange one. :)

Anyway I found myself on this site as a guest many times for issues and figured its time to sign up and pop a question of my own.

The rear defrost went about a month ago but didn't need it so didn't have time to work on it. Now that the colder months are approaching its time to work on it. I checked the fuses all is good and replaced the switch. I'm still not getting any operation. The issue is before the switch (or maybe defective switch?) the switch doesn't illuminate telling me its not getting power or faulty. From what I understand the relay is located in the switch itself and no other external relay? There is a small idk what to call it relay fuse idk located on the bottom of the switch panel in the back. Anyone know what that is for? Maybe that's my issue?

Any advise would be appreciated greatly!! Thanks everyone!! :D

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The fuse to check is #26. I would use a ohmmeter since it can be hard to tell by looking if it is good.

The relay is part of the switch like you describe. There are two power sources to the switch: one from fuse #26 and the other from the instrument panel lighting. You should have the instrument panel illumination of the switch even if the defroster is not working. If you don't have the instrument panel illumination then either the switch, the connection to the switch or the ground connection is bad.

There a second relay in the circuit which is the load reduction relay. If this one isn't working the interior fan and windshield wipers won't work either. You don't mention that.

There could also be a problem with the heating element in the window. Since the heating element connects directly to the switch it could be checked with an ohmmeter from the switch connector. I can give you the pins to check if you like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for replying. Everything else in the vehicle is operational and I checked the fuses with a tester light and checked out good. All the adjacent switches are operational, wipers fans ect all good. (If that means anything I believe they are on a separate circuit) I had the defrost on when I left for work half way down the road it went dark and hasn't worked since.

Please let me know which pins to check and I will do that when I get home. Thanks again!! This is just a wonky thing lol. As with move vw's haha.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
There is a 6-pin connector on the switch. Check for voltages on the connector terminals with the ignition switch in the "run" position with the engine off.

1. Across terminals 5 and 2 you should see 12 volts (battery voltage). This checks the supply voltage and the ground connection for the switch.

2. If 1. checks out, across terminals 5 and 6 you should also see 12 volts. This checks the continuity of the heater element.

If 1. and 2. check out, I think it has to be the switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts