NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday car wouldn't fully turn over, jumped it and was fine. This morning I had a little crank but not much, tried jumping it and nothing. Initially I thought maybe I hadn't been patient enough because the more I tried while connected to the other car, the less crank I had until it wouldn't do anything. Had a friend with a huge battery come by and we just connected and let it sit. I finally had charge back on the battery - enough to get lights and radio but still not a single bit of crank. My CEL had come one a while ago and the scan said Camshaft Sensor. The mechanic I had spoken with said, "Oh those machines don't know anything. Look who runs them." So I am thinking Camshaft is Crankshaft and that it is my issue. Does this sound plausible? The battery was new last Jan, has water, has good connections. Wires all look in good condition.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I scanned through some of the similar issues on the site here and seems it is likely the crankshaft sensor or the battery cables. My cables LOOK good. How do I check the crankshaft sensor?

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
I just replaced Cup's CKP-crank position sensor a couple months ago. It's a age/wear issue. The magnetic sensor thingy just wears out. Cup is a 2000 GLS 1.8t, APH engine. By the sound of your post, you've located the sensor...good. If by any chance you need to do an oil change, I'd go ahead and do it while you're down there. Reason being, is that the end that goes into the block is right behind the oil filter. Getting the filter out of the way will make the removal/install much easier.

All the best to ya:wave2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much. FYI, your trip to the dragon will be during Mini's on the Dragon. Expect to be chasing about 900-1000 mini coopers. It's an annual event. I live at the resort there.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Thank you so much. FYI, your trip to the dragon will be during Mini's on the Dragon. Expect to be chasing about 900-1000 mini coopers. It's an annual event. I live at the resort there.
Does that mean we will see you at ToD with us? It would be great to have you on board...

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Yesterday car wouldn't fully turn over, jumped it and was fine. This morning I had a little crank but not much, tried jumping it and nothing. Initially I thought maybe I hadn't been patient enough because the more I tried while connected to the other car, the less crank I had until it wouldn't do anything. Had a friend with a huge battery come by and we just connected and let it sit. I finally had charge back on the battery - enough to get lights and radio but still not a single bit of crank. My CEL had come one a while ago and the scan said Camshaft Sensor. The mechanic I had spoken with said, "Oh those machines don't know anything. Look who runs them." So I am thinking Camshaft is Crankshaft and that it is my issue. Does this sound plausible? The battery was new last Jan, has water, has good connections. Wires all look in good condition.

Thanks for any help
Do you know what the actual code was? The Crankshaft positioning sensor is a common menace but there is also a camshaft sensor as well. If you have the actual code that would help us determine which one it is.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Do you know what the actual code was? The Crankshaft positioning sensor is a common menance but there is also a camshaft sensor as well. If you have the actual code that would help us determine which one it is.
Too right!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update and further issues

Yesterday we replaced the battery, thankfully it was under warranty. According to autozone, it was totally dead and only charged to 54% in one cycle. 2nd cycle only went to 60% or something, yet when I brought it into Napa (where I bought the battery) they said it was at 98% charge. Since I have had issues with holding a charge for the entire year I have had the battery, they went ahead and swapped it. Turns out the previous Napa had given the wrong battery. It was for a gti but not the one recommended for a beetle. Cleaned the connections really well, put the electric grease stuff on and started like a charm. Voltmeter read everything where it needed to be; battery, connections, wires, etc all read at the same level. Well today, driving down the road, suddenly all the dash lights lit up and gages dropped to ) for a second, then returned to normal. Since the electric grease from Napa wasn't specifically for batteries but they said "should work" we took it apart and wiped the grease off and put back together. Now won't turn over at all. Lights, windows, etc. all work, but won't crank. Could we have pulled the wire clip from the alternator or something? It's MADDENING!

PS Won't catch me driving a Mini - after dealing with a 1000 of them every May, I have decided they are special. What's really interesting is when the Smart cars come..... they are surprising.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know the actual code number was. This was back in April. However I did have a mechanic roll his eyes and say, yeah those kids don't know much, when we discussed it in a conversation (not in his shop or over repairs). The kid seemed a bit confused but then went and looked it up. I am not 100% sold on his answer.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Don't know the actual code number was. This was back in April. However I did have a mechanic roll his eyes and say, yeah those kids don't know much, when we discussed it in a conversation (not in his shop or over repairs). The kid seemed a bit confused but then went and looked it up. I am not 100% sold on his answer.
If you get it running again take it to Autozone and have them scan for codes. Then post them here.
Sounds like the crankshaft positioning sensor but it would still be good to know what the code or codes are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to Autozone with the dashboard blinking away! Gauges would drop to nothing and then the lights would blink and I'd see my speed for a second. It was an adventure. They tested it and gave me a print out this time. It read - camshaft positioning sensor but didn't have a code number. It had a listing of issues - mainly electrical which is what I have. Autozone can order a new sensor for $65 but suggested we start with instrument panel and cluster, so I have the book out and am reading.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Went to Autozone with the dashboard blinking away! Gauges would drop to nothing and then the lights would blink and I'd see my speed for a second. It was an adventure. They tested it and gave me a print out this time. It read - camshaft positioning sensor but didn't have a code number. It had a listing of issues - mainly electrical which is what I have. Autozone can order a new sensor for $65 but suggested we start with instrument panel and cluster, so I have the book out and am reading.
They should have given you the code. Only the code comes up and they have to look it up and interprid it.
Still sounds like the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor which does effect the Speedometer, Tachometer and sometimes the Gas Gauge.
Autozone sensors made in China don't last very long. But it's up to you. Are they ordering you a Camshaft sensor or a Crankshaft positioning sensor??

Here is the sensor that I think you need. But without the actual code it's difficult to be sure.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Crankshaft Sensor > ES#252763 Crankshaft Position Sensor - 06A906433C

Here is the Genuine VW Part which is a bit more pricey.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Crankshaft Sensor > ES#253105 Crankshaft Position Sensor - 06A906433L

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If they got a code of P1340 pointing to the Camshaft Sensor. It could also be that the timing slightly off. You could get this code if your timing belt jumped a tooth or if your cam chain tensioner is loose or starting to fail.

When is the last time you had the timing belt service done?

If you got the code P0321 or P0322 it is most likely your crankshaft positioning sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just clicked your first link - that is the part I was thinking it was. It connects onto the top of the fuse box on the battery cover right? Am I thinking of the same part? Last night the car wouldn't start at all, today started just fine. Was holding my breath at Autozone that it would start again.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The crankshaft position sensor is located behind the oil filter housing. A littlt tricky to get to. If you take the oil filter off you may have a bit easier access. The sensor hooks into a wiring harness. There are lots of DIY threads out on how to change the sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Think is it pretty unlikely that this is the camshaft sensor since the gauges and lights are freaking out? Before I spend the money, I want to be sure I am doing the right repair.

Thank for all of your help

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
That's why you should scan it for codes and post them here. Not just what Autozone thinks they think it means. Which a lot of times is incorrect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts