VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to make a little tune up to my car, which keep shaking in the mornings a litte bit...I just bought the spark plugs clables and I dont know if the spark plugs from autozone are appropiate....I saw that some people after change the spark plus have issues with the car...so this are my question

1) It is save to change it...How?
2) Which spark plugs should I buy? How to change them?
3) Somebody can tell me how to do it without have issues later?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Lmhansen said:
The sparkplugs on the Beetle are really hard to get to, so much that it is probably worth it to have a professional do it...
They are? I mean they *look* like they are, but really it's a 15 minute job. Use a piece of fuel line to thread the new plugs in.

As far as what kind, it depends on the year model, but I know the AEG 2.0L used a three prong NGK that Advance Auto Parts can get next day for a little over $4 each (exact factory part number, but a lot cheaper than the dealership). I'm on my second set of these at 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi...I guess I just want to change the spark plug cables...my husband is the mechanic one...I dont understand and as a good woman I have a hard time trusting him...anyway...do you know if any special tool is need it to change the spark plug cables;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi I just received the wire cables today...but I received one that are for 01and on. I called the guy that sold them and he told me that the number is correct and will fit my car...I have a 99 2.0 no turbo motor AEG????...the cable is a STI model #685...right here are the options..

L4 2.0 LTR. (AEG) Note: For AEG Eng. Only! 98-01 #632

L4 2.0 LTR. (AVH, AZG, BDC, BGD, BEV) AVH, AZG, BDC, BGD, BEV Eng. Only 01 on #685

L4 2.0 LTR. (AEG) #032 905 106B (Coil Pack -1 Req) 98-01 5012

I received the #685. Somebody know is this will fit my car really...and How I know if my motor is a AEG or a AEG #032 905 106B :confused: (I saw in the manual that just an AEG but what means AEG #032905106B??)

This is the web site were I get them...http://www.karlynsti.com/Default.htm

PLEASE HELP... I AM CONFUSED

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
denisse said:
Ko Guys...we Got It The Instructions To Change The Spark Plugs Whotut Remove The Manifold...

:d
Why would anyone remove the manifold to change the plugs? :)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Lmhansen said:
Because without the manifold, it's easier to access a couple of the plugs... Question is, is it more work to remove and reattach the manifold than it is to just replace the plugs...
Going by comments about 2.0L spark plug location, it appears most people look at where the plugs are and assume they will be hard to reach. But plugs #2 and #3 are angled outward so a regular socket extension is all that is needed to reach them - a piece of fuel hose is all that is needed to thread the new ones back in.

Removing the manifold (and probably having to replace the gasket) is going to be a heck of a lot more work. I can replace all 4 plugs and wires while someone is still trying to remove the manifold....

·
Registered
1 Posts
don't remove the manifold, its easy enough w/ an extension like porkchop said ... i wouldn't use aftermarket parts unless you're sure they're the same ... i recently w/ some issues w/ it causing a miss under heavy acceleration due to resistance creap in the aftermarket plugs and wires

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
HELLO!!!!! I DID IT....WELL REALLY MY HUSBAND DID IT

THE PLUGS AND CABLES WERE CHANGED WITHOUT REMOVING THE MANIFOLD....MY FINAL CONCLUSION ....THE CAR WAS BUILD BY THE DEVIL HIMSELF ...ANYWAY...NOW MY NEXT MISSION PO172...WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS...THIS IS TURNING FUNNY.:p

·
Totally Rad
484 Posts
How Often?

How often are the spark plugs supposed to be changed. I just recently hit 50,000 miles on my 2000 2.0 Auto.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Do we happen to have "fuel injector replacement DIY"? 2nd plug was tight and my arm slipped and I hit fuel injector's electrical connector (I disconnected wires before) with socket extension somewhat badly so it turned a bit and got a crack in plastic air inlet right at the entrance.

The weird thing is that engine runs okay with new plugs and wires, no MIL light is on and no leaking out of the crack.

AFAIK I have to remove fuel rail, but is it doable with intake manifold on? Can someone confirm that it is 06A 906 031 AC I have to replace along with a ring 022 906 149 A?

Anyone in Twin Cities, MN who can guide/assist? Please PM.

The only things I found are these VWVortex.com - DIY Fuel Injector Replacement ( replace fuel injectors ) MKIV 1.8t VR6 (not for 2.0L) and this How to Replace a Fuel Injector in a VW Passat | eHow.com (about the same How to Replace a Fuel Injector in a VW Jetta | eHow.com ) which is quite general.

P.S. I'm a bit confused what engine I have. According to manual that came with this used car it is AVH, however I noticed a sticker under the hood saying AZG.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just hit 81000 miles and the engine has been idling rough when I'm braking. My husband checked the engine and it looks like the spark plugs are loose (orginally changed at 40K). Do we need to change the wires (and coil) or just the spark plugs? The manual only says to replace the plugs at 80K.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts