NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new computer and was wondering if there is a way to get my play list from my old computer over to the new one? I hope this isn't a dumb question!!!:confused:
Thanks,
Shelly

·
Co-pilot wanted
31 Posts
All of that information is contained in the "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" files. On a PC these should be in My Documents > My Music > iTunes. On a Mac, Home > Music > iTunes. If you copy these 2 files over to the new machine and place them into the same place (make sure iTunes isn't running when you do this) and reopen iTunes after the files are copied, it should have all your playlists and your entire library as it was on the old computer.

Now, the new computer will be looking for the files in the same place as they are on the old computer, so when you copy your music, make sure the music is in the same place. Like if you keep all your music in "My Music" on the old computer, make sure it's all in "My Music" on the new computer or you're going to have to tell iTunes where all the stuff is because it won't know, which is a major pain to do. Sorry if this is kind of disjointed!

·
Co-pilot wanted
31 Posts
Palladigma said:
I think you're going to have to transfer all your mp3 files to your new computer anyway
Yes, this is true, but she wants her playlists, too, which are contained in XML files.

·
Registered
32 Posts
shellbug said:
I got a new computer and was wondering if there is a way to get my play list from my old computer over to the new one? I hope this isn't a dumb question!!!:confused:
Thanks,
Shelly

Shelly...I'm interested in the answers you are getting. My computer crashed in June and according to Apple I can't do it but they referred me to ipodlounge.com for help. My IPOD has 300 songs on it and I'm afraid they'll be lost if I plug my IPOD into my computer.

In re reading the note my case is different. My computer lost everything so my problem is how to get what's on my IPOD back onto my computer.

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I was hoping you would tell me to just plug in my ipod to the new computer and everything would transfer LOL! I haven't attempted it yet but will try this afternoon.
~Shelly

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
No... actually... if you install a fresh version of iTunes (with no music library), and then connect your iPod... if you have the autosync feature enabled (default), it'll actually wipe your iPod clean of any tunes at all.

There are several utilities folks have built that allow you to copy your tunes from your iPod to your new hard drive. Most will copy your playlists too (at least, those playlists that are stored on your iPod). Just Google an appropriate term and you should find some.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Skweeker said:
All of that information is contained in the "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" files. On a PC these should be in My Documents > My Music > iTunes. On a Mac, Home > Music > iTunes. If you copy these 2 files over to the new machine and place them into the same place (make sure iTunes isn't running when you do this) and reopen iTunes after the files are copied, it should have all your playlists and your entire library as it was on the old computer.

Now, the new computer will be looking for the files in the same place as they are on the old computer, so when you copy your music, make sure the music is in the same place. Like if you keep all your music in "My Music" on the old computer, make sure it's all in "My Music" on the new computer or you're going to have to tell iTunes where all the stuff is because it won't know, which is a major pain to do. Sorry if this is kind of disjointed!
This is spot-on.

And like Steinola said, be care about plugging your iPod into any computer that it's not "used" to. If you sync it with another computer, it'll replace your music library with the one from that computer -- which is this case is an empty library. That would suck. You want to get your music library on the new computer before you sync the iPod with it.

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had no clue how to copy it. So I am just gonna start all over fresh. I only had like 25 songs downloaded.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Type in sharepod into Google. It's great shareware that enables you to put files from your ipod back into your computer. It's great for users that have two computers and want the same library on both. Be sure to disable the auto update feature on your ipod because as mentioned previously. If you have it turned on it copies the library from the computer that you plug your ipod into onto your ipod.

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yippeee, My 12 year old son figured it out for me and transfered all my songs!!!! Thanks for all the info.
~shelly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts