·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:wave2:

Car Name: Buglet
Year: 2004
Color: Blue Lagoon
Mods: None, everything is stock as far as I know.
Mileage: 121K
Engine: TDI (Diesel)
Manual Trans

I figure it is time to start a photo gallery thread for Buglet. We are getting out and about a lot these days and I'm trying to remember to take photos as I go :)

Who says NB's are too small? Our little Buglet managed to haul 2 10' Kayak's home from the Shenandoah River yesterday!!
Granted, our method of carrying Kayak's is a little out of the norm, but those boats were very secure and did not move an inch when traveling. I got plenty of 'odd/shocked' looks and even passed by a police officer on traffic duty. I thought the police officer might pull me over, but he just let us carry on :)

We have foam padding blocks that sit on the roof for the kayaks, but Buglet's super round shape was not working well with that method. I have considered putting a roof rack on, but the thought of what that will do to my fuel economy is killing me. We will look into some other foam block options and see how things work out.

Buglet Kayak Trip 1.jpg
Buglet Kayak 2.jpg

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More random Buglet photos:

Out and about at Farmers markets and farm shops:
Buglet Farmer Market Shopping.jpg

Buglet with her sibling:
Buglet with Audi.jpg

Buglet watching the sun set across the Shenandoah Valley, VA
Buglet sunset.jpg

Buglet and I spotted another Beetle at a charity car wash and just had to pull in. Even though Buglet was pretty clean it was nice to support the kids trying to raise money and to chat with another NB owner :)
Buglet Charity Carwash.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Get thee a roof rack! :eek:

Your NB is beautiful! :)

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get thee a roof rack! :eek:

Your NB is beautiful! :)
I know, I know... I really should and likely will :eek:
My husbands Audi has a roof rack on it and we use that nearly all the time for the kayaks and bikes. Sometimes when paddling down rivers you need two cars, one to drop off at the starting point in the river and another parked where you plan to get off the river.. hence stuffing two kayaks into Buglet last Sunday :eek:

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Your blue lagoon looks great! Very shiny! Our cars are almost the same except for model year! How's your mileage? I rarely get above 45 but I'm hoping to get a Malone stage 1.5 tune next year.

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your blue lagoon looks great! Very shiny! Our cars are almost the same except for model year! How's your mileage? I rarely get above 45 but I'm hoping to get a Malone stage 1.5 tune next year.
Thank you CoriBug :)

I think it;s really neat that we have almost identical Bugs :D. I absolutely love the Blue Lagoon color.
I've only had 3 fill ups so far and my mpg's were:
Tank 1: 47.6mpg
Tank 2: 41.0mpg
Tank 3: 47.6mpg

Tank 2 was spent doing a lot of back road mountain driving and less highway than normal, we were having fun with the car that week and it really showed in the fuel economy, but it was all worth it!

I have never heard of a Malone stage 1.5 tune before. Does it help get better fuel efficiency? I'll have to do some research on that. I did install a ScanGuage (super easy to hook up) and am hoping that by watching real time fuel consumption numbers that I will be able to adjust some bad driving habits and get higher mpg's. But for now I am more than happy with anything above 40mpg :D

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I've done some research about different tunes, decided to go with Malone and a 1.5. It adds enough power and torque but not too much that I will need a stronger clutch. You can either send the ECU to Malone or go to a shop to have them do it. The tune is also supposed to improve MPG.

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buglet paid a visit to the VW dealership this evening (my hubby is looking for a 'new' used car).

While there, she gave all the brand new Beetle's a pep talk about the big bad world they will soon be unleashed upon:

Buglet at the dealership.jpg

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buglet rolled to 123456 miles last night. I was so happy that I caught this big occasion and was able to pull over and snap a photo :)
Only 111,111 more miles until the next similar photo op ;)
Buglet 123456 miles.jpg

Some other photos that I played with using Snapseed... what a fun app!

Buglet dark.jpg
Buglet mountains edited.jpg
Buglet with Smart Car.jpg
Buglet farmers market edited.jpg

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With Buglet spending time at her mechanics house this week I figured I'd take a few snap shots of the die cast version of her.

Exterior Shots:

Mini Bug side.jpg
Mini Bug Front.jpg

Even the engine in this model is a TDI :D:

Mini Bug TDI.jpg

The interior detail is pretty darn close and it has manual transmission just like Buglet:

Mini Bug Interior 2.jpg
Mini Bug interior 1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Awesome!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts