VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Wondering if anybody can offer some advice/reassurance?
We've just arrived in South west France having driven some 900 miles to get here and on our first morning, whilst driving to the local supermarché, the check engine light came on on my 53 plate 1.4 beetle (61k on the clock). I had a service carried out a week ago whereby the garage guy said that my known problem of slightly noisy cam followers shouldn't be a problem on the journey. We did between 60-68ish mph the whole way due to having surf boards on the roof. The engine doesn't sound any worse than before, there's nothing leaking, oil and water levels are good.
So, should I find a local garage to run a diagnostic? Or can I turn the old "blind eye" to it and enter the sea? I knew I should have got European breakdown cover but I'm spent up so took a gamble :(
I'll be really grateful for any advice!
Many thanks
Kat

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
You should get it scanned for codes. That will give us a better idea as to what is going on and how urgent the issue is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohh rubbish. I was hoping to avoid that due to not speaking much French or knowing where a garage is. That's at least one holiday day wasted then! Thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Where did you drive from and where are you in France? If you are really worried; you could take it to a VW service center: Look them up here:

Réseau < Bienvenue sur Volkswagen France

http://app.volkswagen.fr/dcc/fr/dealers.html

VW France; seems to offer a roadside assistance of sorts, maybe they can direct you to the nearest VW service center as well:

Wherever you are, we will be there too.

The Volkswagen support is free and does everything possible to make your mobility faster, 24/24 and 7/7. This unique service is valid for the life of your vehicle, subject to compliance of the maintenance plan *.

Volkswagen Assistance, by calling 0800 22 4000 from France or 00 33 426 298 770 from abroad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you drive from and where are you in France? If you are really worried; you could take it to a VW service center: Look them up here:

VW France; seems to offer a roadside assistance of sorts, maybe they can direct you to the nearest VW service center as well:

Wherever you are, we will be there too.

The Volkswagen support is free and does everything possible to make your mobility faster, 24/24 and 7/7. This unique service is valid for the life of your vehicle, subject to compliance of the maintenance plan *.

Volkswagen Assistance, by calling 0800 22 4000 from France or 00 33 426 298 770 from abroad.
Birmingham to Labenne in the south west. Via Dover/Calais. Yes I think I'm definitely going to try and get it somewhere and look up the French for what I need to say first! I'll see where the nearest dealer is at, don't think the rescue service will want me as I'm pretty certain the service maintenance plan has not been complied with as I bought the car off a man who does his own mechanics :\

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well. Took it to the nearest VW garage/dealership who, in French, begrudgingly agreed to have a look at it off the appointment book and 30 mins later came back saying the code was gone, the car is fine (I think) and there was no charge. Pretty good I suppose if a bit weird. The holiday rep said that their E10 petrol can cause issues and so I put a few euros worth of the non ethanol petrol in when I fuelled up on the way to the garage, maybe that helped. There was still a little sluggishness on the way back but all in all then if the garage says its good then I'm satisfied enough to bring it home. Thanks for your replies everyone!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, glad that you had the car checked out; there is nothing more frustrating then having problems with your car, when on the road! Then to be off in another country; where one, may not speak the language well! The VW dealership; seemed to treat you well; then, they didn't charge you anything and managed to fit you in; among their normal scheduled work! That's pretty amazing; here in the USA; I think they definitely would have charged you a diagnostic fee; especially if they hooked up to the factory VW diagnostic computer! I think a thank you letter to VW of France and the dealership who did the checkup, might be in order, when you get home to the UK! :)

When you have some time; after you get home, we all would love to hear about your new beetle and see some pictures of it! Snap some pics; of your Beetle vacationing in France!

Again glad everything worked out; have a safe trip home and don't be a stranger, come back to visit us, here on newbeetle.org! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts