NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MoPic Rules
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, This is my 2001 GL, not sure if VW ever made a Wolfsburg edition of the New Beetle, but I sure did. Bought the emblems on eBay, applied them and there you go. I realize "purests" may be offended at this, but I thought it was kinda' cool. And if VW never made an "official" one, then this could be the only one on the planet.
The only real time consuming mod was the retro hubcaps and rims. Took me forever to find the time to do it, but very pleased with the results. Have had many positive comments on them. Lots of nods from other VW drivers (and not just bug drivers too) Even been asked if they are part of the "Wolfsburg Edition Package." Sometimes I fib and say yes. Added window vents, fuzzy dash cover, headlight covers, and a hula girl on the dash and it's my Blue Bug.
My first car was a 70 Bug, and have owned a very ugly baby blue squareback, a really ugly baja bug, a diesel Vanagon and a 72 bus that I hope to post pics of soon.
I am a retired Marine Master Sergeant and live in Northern Virginia, would like to hang out with other VW types and welcome any comments. Thanks for taking the time to check out my post, All the best, Jerre

[email protected]

Attachments

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
It's cool to see the different personalities of all these New Beetles on the org. I love the retro steelies and the hula girl. Its hard to believe how much the new beetles look like the old ones with just the steelies.:)

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
gee, that car looks vaguely familiar...

mine is a 2000 TDI I added the retro steelies and had two-toned...

you need yourself a wood-slat roof rack brother! :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
I Luv CGB!!!
2,128 Posts
Semper Fi Master Sgt!! Hula girls & Marines it just seems to fit.

·
MoPic Rules
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanx for your kind comments

Steel wheels and hula girls-who knew that's what would catch people's attention and imagination. I have to admit, while surfing around this site I saw Eeyore and a couple of other retro bugs and they were the inspiration for the wheel conversion. Can’t believe the good folks at VW have not made this an option on new bugs yet. Thought of doing the side panels in wood grain as opposed to the silver accent, but who knows, as slow as I move sometimes, a good idea could take forever. Hey Eeyore, obviously, we both have really good taste! Take care, Jerre

(and as we have seen in recent movie trailers: "oooh-rahhh")

Attachments

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Hey, A woody side would look pretty sweet on your ride man. especially with the dark like you pictured. I can think of only 1 woody beetle I have ever seen done right. (paint not sticker) would be awesome to have another around. :)

Glad that Growler could inspire others! I kinda like having retro as a do-it yourself mod.

·
MoPic Rules
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another good thing about Beetles . . . .

. . . . the snow just slides off! We got 6 inches this morning, I know it's not much by most people's standards, but you have to figure the way most people drive around Washington, DC, two or three inches and they're sliding right off the road. Happy (& safe) Holidays to all, Jerre

·
MoPic Rules
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's hoping everyone has a . . . .

. . . safe and happy NEW YEAR!!! All the best from U.S.M.C. Retired Master Sergeant (AKA: Top) Jerre Thomas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts