NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MoPic Rules
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I know this isn’t a Beetle, and doesn’t belong here, but indulge me and read on; I’m a man on a mission!
This is a bus I owned about 10 years ago. I’m trying to find out whatever happened to it or it's whereabouts these days.
While on active duty in the Marine Corps, I was stationed at the White House with a Navy unit called White House TV. Our job was to shoot video of day-to-day Presidential activities. When the President traveled, we traveled, two crewmembers on Air Force One and Two crewmembers on the White House Press Corps charter plane. We had to haul a lot of gear and drop it off at the departure point at Andrews Air Force Base near Suitland, Maryland.
When I reported to the unit, I was driving a 1982 Camaro. Not a great car for loading up gear as the trunk was about as big as a shoebox. I bought the bus (ugly, white, and rusty) and stripped the interior out to haul gear to and from Andrews AFB. It was great for this purpose as it would hold "tons of gear" and it got great gas mileage.
Never being able to leave things as there are, I started making "improvements." I pulled the Westphalia camper interior from a wreck and installed it, added the vented side windows, used the old interior fiberboard panels as patterns for new wood paneling, put a couple of "cheapy" crank roof vents, and last but not least, the desert cammie/tiger shark paint job. All the painting was done in my driveway with spray cans and stencils. My neighbors thought I had lost my mind! I drove the bus (just as pictured below) to many official White House functions (Presidents Bush and Clinton) and always got a chuckle from the PPD/Secret Service Agents.
I departed the DC area when I was accepted to the Military Motion Media Studies Program at Syracuse University. It’s a one-year program for military photographers and videographers. I made it about half way through the insanely cold Syracuse winter before I had to buy a car with better heat. The bus's heat collectors were solid, but never a great source of warmth.
I sold it to another college student and have always been curious whatever happened to it. So, if you've seen it or know where it ended up, please let me know!
Thanks again, all the best, Jerre

Attachments

·
MoPic Rules
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still looking for the "WarBus"

Happy Holidays to all and to all a VW night . . .

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
cool! nice paintjob

·
MoPic Rules
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's hoping everyone has a . . .

. . . safe and happy NEW YEAR!!! All the best from U.S.M.C. Retired Master Sergeant (AKA: Top) Jerre Thomas

(and I still haven't found the old bus, but I'm still looking!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts