VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had my tty bolts fail less than 1,500 miles. The transmission was rebuilt and the timing was serviced and new tty bolts were used but the mount was not replaced and the rubber inside the transmission mount cracked and allowed far too much movement causing one bolt to snap and the other to strip. Dropped my newly rebuilt transmission to the ground while driving. My secondary air intake was snapped from its mount and is free balling and shooting codes, takes my car forever to heat up. I'm wondering if this happened before and the air intake mount broke when the mount failed and crushed it... so I'm looking into stronger mounts. Polyurethane seems to be the way to go no? But all I can find in a set is for an jetta mk4. Sucker looks identical to what I need but they all say it won't fit. But they also say auto and manual mounts differ... and they don't in my case. Anyone know if a jetta mk4 mount is the same as a 2000 new beetle mount?

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
What is your new beetle; 2000, what trans and engine do you have?

For stripped out threads in the brackets and in the tranmission case, TIME SERTS, are the permanent fix, not cheap but they really do work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your new beetle; 2000, what trans and engine do you have?

For stripped out threads in the brackets and in the tranmission case, TIME SERTS, are the permanent fix, not cheap but they really do work.

I have a 2000 1.8 t gls with an automatic transmission. I know the dog bone trans mount needs to be for an automatic, but the trans mount and the passenger motor mount seem to be the exact same for the jetta and the beetle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2000 1.8 t gls with an automatic transmission. I know the dog bone trans mount needs to be for an automatic, but the trans mount and the passenger motor mount seem to be the exact same for the jetta and the beetle.
The stripped mount bolts didn't strip in the trans case but this expensive aluminum support bracket. Would time serts work for this also. And do I have to use the tty bolts?
what sort of setup are you looking for: oem stock or a bit more firm. rubber mounts? is the engine stock or tuned?
The engine is stock but it seems the mounts have failed before. Its odd to me that they failed twice in under 100k miles. Second time just after putting new tty bolts on the trans driver mount after a trans rebuild. So I'm thinking it would make me feel better if they were more durable. Possibly there is an underlying problem causing the mount failures? But other than the failure of the mounts the car runs and shifts well.

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
The TIME SERTS; are exactly, what you need, to repair the mount brackets. I had to do mine; on both the left and right side in the engine compartment. The TTY bolts are recommended by VW and in the case of FCPEURO; they offer a lifetime warranty and so, if you ever removed them, say to do a timing belt, you would get new ones for free.

The bracket holes, ALL strip out the threads; it isn't a matter of IF but WHEN, they strip out, being relatively delicate and easy to damage aluminum. These need to be removed carefully and tightened by hand and use a torque wrench, to torque them to spec. Once, you repair them with the steel inserts by TIME SERT, you don't have anymore issues with stripping out or things falling out of the vehicle.

I would probably, stick with high oem stock rubber mounts; I have used BFI stage 1 poly inserts, mounts, they are pretty harsh; then, they always ends up cracking and turning into dust, requiring replacement. The poly, does not, have much give to them and so the NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness); can drive you nuts, especially, at idle and when, you have the a/c on, during the summer. I have experienced, all of this; on my own, testing, trying things out and on my personal daily driven vehicle. I tried a number of different mounts; to see, what difference they made and how the "NVH" felt, what was tolerable for me. Everything, from stock, 034 Motorsport billet mounts, BFI poly and lastly CTS Turbo with a higher durometer solid rubber mounts without the air voids, the stock versions have.

We can discuss options more later; right now, I would concentrate on repairing all the brackets and ordering your time sert, insert repair kit and getting those installed. They aren't cheap but they work, last, based upon my own experience, installing them, using them, etc.

Beware, there are allot of junk, Chinese mounts for sale out there for really cheap and they don't last, end up failing prematurely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The TIME SERTS; are exactly, what you need, to repair the mount brackets. I had to do mine; on both the left and right side in the engine compartment. The TTY bolts are recommended by VW and in the case of FCPEURO; they offer a lifetime warranty and so, if you ever removed them, say to do a timing belt, you would get new ones for free.

The bracket holes, ALL strip out the threads; it isn't a matter of IF but WHEN, they strip out, being relatively delicate and easy to damage aluminum. These need to be removed carefully and tightened by hand and use a torque wrench, to torque them to spec. Once, you repair them with the steel inserts by TIME SERT, you don't have anymore issues with stripping out or things falling out of the vehicle.

I would probably, stick with high oem stock rubber mounts; I have used BFI stage 1 poly inserts, mounts, they are pretty harsh; then, they always ends up cracking and turning into dust, requiring replacement. The poly, does not, have much give to them and so the NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness); can drive you nuts, especially, at idle and when, you have the a/c on, during the summer. I have experienced, all of this; on my own, testing, trying things out and on my personal daily driven vehicle. I tried a number of different mounts; to see, what difference they made and how the "NVH" felt, what was tolerable for me. Everything, from stock, 034 Motorsport billet mounts, BFI poly and lastly CTS Turbo with a higher durometer solid rubber mounts without the air voids, the stock versions have.

We can discuss options more later; right now, I would concentrate on repairing all the brackets and ordering your time sert, insert repair kit and getting those installed. They aren't cheap but they work, last, based upon my own experience, installing them, using them, etc.

Beware, there are allot of junk, Chinese mounts for sale out there for really cheap and they don't last, end up failing prematurely.
You are amazingly helpful! I will take your advice and order a timesert kit immediately. The stock mounts are much cheaper than performance mounts and I can appreciate that for sure. Only the transmission mount bolts were damaged but I think I should replace both mounts. That dog bone one is harder for me to locate, and I'm unsure if it is even damaged. Can I get away with just replacing those two motor mounts and not the dogbone one? Thank you so much for your assistance in this matter. I just got the beetle and I fell in love. I'm a novice but I am determined to fix this on my own.

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
All of the motor, tranmission and dogbone mounts, can be a bit confusing and deceiving, as to their wear status. It isn't, until; they are actually, REMOVED and inspected, do you realize, how worn out they really are! Replacement, of all of them at once; it recommended, as they all work together, to keep the engine and transmission, solid, secure and not flopping around or as in your case, FALLING OUT OF THE CAR! LOL! :)

You might contact; fcpeuro.com and see, what oem mounts they offer and recommend, they typically only have the highest quality oem parts, plus they have a lifetime warranty, on all the parts they sell.

Keep in mind, oem parts; are not the cheapest available and they can be something of a investment, compared, to cheapest parts you see on amazon or ebay. However, they have the added benefit; of performing better and lasting longer, so you don't have to keep replacing them, compared to the cheaper aftermarket cheaper stuff.

Looking online, the oem level mounts; seem to be Febi Bilstein and Corteco brands.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the motor, tranmission and dogbone mounts, can be a bit confusing and deceiving, as to their wear status. It isn't, until; they are actually, REMOVED and inspected, do you realize, how worn out they really are! Replacement, of all of them at once; it recommended, as they all work together, to keep the engine and transmission, solid, secure and not flopping around or as in your case, FALLING OUT OF THE CAR! LOL! :)

You might contact; fcpeuro.com and see, what oem mounts they offer and recommend, they typically only have the highest quality oem parts, plus they have a lifetime warranty, on all the parts they sell.

Keep in mind, oem parts; are not the cheapest available and they can be something of a investment, compared, to cheapest parts you see on amazon or ebay. However, they have the added benefit; of performing better and lasting longer, so you don't have to keep replacing them, compared to the cheaper aftermarket cheaper stuff.

Looking online, the oem level mounts; seem to be Febi Bilstein and Corteco brands.
Okay, so I think I have a pretty good rundown of what I need thanks to my new best friend billymade. I have only one more question. Would you happen to know if I need the same time sert kit from the link you provided? I now have a solid shopping list that I'm almost confident will get me where I need to be. So long as the kit is for the correct size 😅 Thanks again for all of this valuable information. I gotta say, I'm a student of an automotive program at my local community collage getting my ase certification and you have been 1000X more helpful than my professor. You wouldn't believe how he suggested I handle this situation 😆 Gotta hand it to the kind fella who took the time to lay all of this out for me. Your a life saver. Possibly quite litterally.
Screenshot_20210611-095722_Amazon Shopping.jpg

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
Lemme, see; if I can find my old TIME SERT web order, for my 1.8T New Beetle. I actually called them and orderd direct, made sure, I was getting the right stuff, before I ordered it.

When, it comes, to VW repairs; keep in mind, the VW community, is a pretty dedicate group and 99% of needed repairs, are documented on the web. It is just a matter of finding out; where it is posted and using the info, experiences of others; who have already "been there"; successfully repaired issues you are currently dealing with.

·
Registered
15,065 Posts

The rep I talked to; recommended that I get the tap guide, so that you tap things parallel and straight, to ensure a successful install and thread creation. If you are concerned, you are getting the right stuff; you might give them a call, before ordering. ALSO, get a couple of EXTRA inserts; as it is not uncommon, to screw a couple up, as you learn, how the installation process works. By the end of working with the time serts; you will have a feel for how it works and be better the next time, you use them. It there is a bit of a learning curve; take your time, watch some installation videos and don't rush things, you will be fine.

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
As to the above; 034 Motorsports mounts; those are rubber BUT stiffer then stock. I don't know, if that is what you want or not. IF you DO, want to go with those; I recommend, you buy them from FCPEURO and you will get a LIFETIME warranty, if/when they wear out or need replaced. They also, have free shipping; on orders, over $50, if you need them faster you might contact them for recommended shipping upgrades, to meet your deadline or repair schedule.

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
If you are going for the rubber mounts but want the stiffer ones, like 034, CTS Turbo sells a similar set for less. They are listed under the Golf GIT 1.8T; you might confirm fitment for automatic?

Unless, you are tuned and are willing to put up with increased NVH, you might consider high quality oem mounts instead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are going for the rubber mounts but want the stiffer ones, like 034, CTS Turbo sells a similar set for less. They are listed under the Golf GIT 1.8T; you might confirm fitment for automatic?

Unless, you are tuned and are willing to put up with increased NVH, you might consider high quality oem mounts instead.
The only kits that the fcpeuro site would show me was the motor sport ones. But I took your advice and contacted them about the oem set and it turns out a set for 1/4 th the cost of the motor sport ones will fit my car based on my Vin #. Not only a life saver but a wallet saver too. You truly are my beat friend right now. I also took your advice on the time serts and got the guide since I can afford it thanks to you. Somebody give this one a raise!

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
The FCP Euro online catalog, doesn't always have everything listed, that they sell
but I have found once you contact them, they will help you find you what you need. For example I was looking for a Meyle HD water pump, they are a Meyle dealer;they then, updated their online catalog, to reflect there expanded options and i was able to order it then.

What brand motor mounts did they offer you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
Going over this thread, I noticed you mentioned your automotive professor from auto tech class; I'm curious what he recommended you do to fix your Volkswagen? LOL! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The FCP Euro online catalog, doesn't always have everything listed, that they sell
but I have found once you contact them, they will help you find you what you need. For example I was looking for a Meyle HD water pump, they are a Meyle dealer;they then, updated their online catalog, to reflect there expanded options and i was able to order it then.

What brand motor mounts did they offer you?

A right proper Corteco set 😁 I had seen the set before while looking but because it told me the part won't fit online I kept looking. Thankfully I was able to fill in my Vin and inquire if there was anything not motorsports for me. Thank goodness there is. 🙌 I was not looking forward to unnecessary vibrations and the price was much more than the Corteco set. I'm over the moon about this because it affords me the ability to also fix the broken secondary air pump that has been damaged due to the mount failure. Save me some time getting the little guy up to operational temperature. Thank you so much again for your help. I will pass it forward in any way I can. I'll be leaving detailed service notes on our identifix platform at the school's shop for sure.

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
Yeah, I have not use Corteco parts before but from the research I have done, they seem to be a German company and offer OEM quality parts? I was needing to replace all the mounts on my 1.8 turbo New Beetle with a six speed standard transmission; originally Lemforder made them but they discontinued the oem mounts I needed. It can be something of a challenge to try to figure out who makes quality parts these days; so many traditional german manufacturers have offshore their production to Eastern Europe, Spain or China. One of the strategies that I have used is to find who makes the original OEM part for volts wagon and then instead of buying it from the VW dealer, just buy it from the OEM company and you can save a lot of money that way. FCP Euro is big on OEM parts and they always try to do their best to point you to the original OEM in a quality part, that lasts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Going over this thread, I noticed you mentioned your automotive professor from auto tech class; I'm curious what he recommended you do to fix your Volkswagen? LOL! :)

He suggested I re use the bolts that had stripped an broken. That I could get it to grab just enough to leave threads above the motor mount to place a nut over where the her was on my broken bolt. That I should cut the head off of my bolt that stripped the aluminum and do the same. Just hunker it on there and secure it with a nut. He offered to do this for me... I don't know a lot yet... but I asked if re using the torque to yeild bolts was safe at all and he didn't know. He asked the engines professor if tty bolts were one time use in front of me... so I don't take my own car into that class for anything anymore. I had been feeling the Vibration of this failing mount at high rpm and so I took it into the class and popped the hood to show what the symptom was and I was told that my turbo was fine... nothing further. I removed my engine cover as it was missing one bolt due to a broken one blocking it up and it helped the sound a bit... but I knew in my heart something was not right. The broken secondary air pump bracket had me thinking maybe that part was banging around in there and it's a possibility it is. But it was motor mounts that ended up failing. I was so unprepared for this.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts