NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.o avh 2002 beetle. I overheated the car because the thermostat stuck. It was only 3 months old. Since then I have had codes PO341 and PO343. They came on different days. Currently it is PO343. Today the car is in limp mode where it cuts off the power at 3000 rpm. Is this a bad cam sensor and why would this happen after overheating?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Based off the code, I would say that it is a cam sensor problem. I bet its just coincidence and not due to the overheating.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the cam sensor today and it runs like new. This only took 30 minutes. This car is still the worst money pit I have ever had.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
kshanok

Sorry, just checking in now. Glad to hear is sounds like the cam sensor may have resolved your issue.

What brand thermostat were you running?

Have not seen many thermostats stick closed/not open enough.

I hope you have the overheating issue under control.

With all the issues with fans, fan controllers, water pumps and coolant return lines being restricted, there are a lot of pitfalls that you need to watch out for.

Hope you have all your issues resolved.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i know

I replaced the cam sensor today and it runs like new. This only took 30 minutes. This car is still the worst money pit I have ever had.
I'm telling ya" I been telling folks that and still they don't believe me, their in denial. LOL :p it's a cute little bug I love mine but will sell it come early next year, I hope. mine has been check engine free for the last 2-3 months, it's been running good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JFOJ, When you told me that I had a thermostat that was running cold I went to buy a factory thermostat. It did stick closed because after replacing it I have no more problems with overheating. I am really curious why the cam sensor went bad at the same time but everything is working fine now.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Cam and crank sensors are Hall Effect and they do degrade with time. Given the age of the car, not unusual for the sensor to go, possible the increased temperature caused a faulty solder joint to fail.

FYI,if you purchased the thermostat from a VW dealer, it should have 12 month/unlimited mileage warranty. Not that it helps but you could at least end up with a shelf spare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts