NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday we picked up my second New Beetle, Jimmy, at Gene Messer VW in Lubbock, TX.

My previous bug, Tommy, was a red 1998 that provided many long years (11 and a half) of driving satisfaction. Sadly, he died on March 6th when I hit a large block of wood at 70 mph and cracked the oil pan, frying the engine before I realized what had happened and could stop it in time.

Somehow fate worked everything out, and a week later I am the proud owner of a 2010 Salsa Red 2.5L, with a Tiptronic transmission.

I haven't had a chance to take any great photos yet, but here's few to get started. Many more to come!

When we arrived the dealer was giving him a bath:

And here he is just waiting for me to get in and drive him the first time.

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful!! :party:

Still, sorry about the demise of the 98. :eek: Watch out for road debris! :eek:

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
nice new buggy---congrats!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got out to take some more pics of Jimmy!

With Texas' first skyscraper, the ALICO building:

And finally, His Birth Certificate came in the mail. (Shh! Don't tell him he really has FIVE Cylinders!)

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
They did the same thing on Lily's birth certificate.

2.5L 4-cylinder, 150 HP

I called and asked for a replacement but they never sent one. I ended up "altering" her original birth certificate to make it read "5-cylinder". :)

And thanks for posting the pics.

·
Bugaholic
788 Posts
Hmmm interesting. I got Farrah's birth certificate the other day and it just says "2.5L 150hp" under the engine heading.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think someone still makes these by hand, probably modifying a template (That VW graphic has been used for 12 years! Note those care are all 1998s!) Someone gets lazy or forgets to take the 4-Cylinder out from the template.

It's no big deal; I think it's kind of funny!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who does the VW birth certificate ... is it the dealer or do they come from VW company? Never seen them before (course am a brand new firtst time VW owner as of this month).

It's been fun going thru all the photos and comments.
VW direct. Call this number:

800-822-8987

They are free. Takes about 10 days.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This weekend I went to Hearne, TX to see UP 844 (You can see the rest of my pics on flickr, and check out this Youtube video: YouTube - UP 844 Arrives in Hearne ). I got a few shots of Jimmy, too.

At a cool diner. Had some nasty, greasy food there...the way diners should be!

]

Doing some "off-roading"

I turned into this "parking lot" and realized that it was basically just the side of the road with some gravel! You can see where the other cars are parked--I didn't think I could risk pulling up that close! UP 844 is just behind the Double-stack train, which pulled in after I got there! I thought I was cut off from the car, but I was able to hop the track just ahead of the (stopped) locomotive.

Finally, downtown Hearne, which was really depressing. Very empty!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Bugaholic
788 Posts
What a cool 4-8-4 loco. That musta been fun to go see.

Thanks for the pic of the bra. Now I know what it looks like. I bought one of those last week and was gonna put it on this weekend but we are having nasty weather.

:(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
24 Participants
drag79stang
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing