NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday we picked up my second New Beetle, Jimmy, at Gene Messer VW in Lubbock, TX.

My previous bug, Tommy, was a red 1998 that provided many long years (11 and a half) of driving satisfaction. Sadly, he died on March 6th when I hit a large block of wood at 70 mph and cracked the oil pan, frying the engine before I realized what had happened and could stop it in time.

Somehow fate worked everything out, and a week later I am the proud owner of a 2010 Salsa Red 2.5L, with a Tiptronic transmission.

I haven't had a chance to take any great photos yet, but here's few to get started. Many more to come!

When we arrived the dealer was giving him a bath:

And here he is just waiting for me to get in and drive him the first time.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful!! :party:

Still, sorry about the demise of the 98. :eek: Watch out for road debris! :eek:

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
nice new buggy---congrats!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got out to take some more pics of Jimmy!

With Texas' first skyscraper, the ALICO building:

And finally, His Birth Certificate came in the mail. (Shh! Don't tell him he really has FIVE Cylinders!)

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
They did the same thing on Lily's birth certificate.

2.5L 4-cylinder, 150 HP

I called and asked for a replacement but they never sent one. I ended up "altering" her original birth certificate to make it read "5-cylinder". :)

And thanks for posting the pics.

·
Bugaholic
788 Posts
Hmmm interesting. I got Farrah's birth certificate the other day and it just says "2.5L 150hp" under the engine heading.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think someone still makes these by hand, probably modifying a template (That VW graphic has been used for 12 years! Note those care are all 1998s!) Someone gets lazy or forgets to take the 4-Cylinder out from the template.

It's no big deal; I think it's kind of funny!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who does the VW birth certificate ... is it the dealer or do they come from VW company? Never seen them before (course am a brand new firtst time VW owner as of this month).

It's been fun going thru all the photos and comments.
VW direct. Call this number:

800-822-8987

They are free. Takes about 10 days.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This weekend I went to Hearne, TX to see UP 844 (You can see the rest of my pics on flickr, and check out this Youtube video: YouTube - UP 844 Arrives in Hearne ). I got a few shots of Jimmy, too.

At a cool diner. Had some nasty, greasy food there...the way diners should be!

]

Doing some "off-roading"

I turned into this "parking lot" and realized that it was basically just the side of the road with some gravel! You can see where the other cars are parked--I didn't think I could risk pulling up that close! UP 844 is just behind the Double-stack train, which pulled in after I got there! I thought I was cut off from the car, but I was able to hop the track just ahead of the (stopped) locomotive.

Finally, downtown Hearne, which was really depressing. Very empty!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Bugaholic
788 Posts
What a cool 4-8-4 loco. That musta been fun to go see.

Thanks for the pic of the bra. Now I know what it looks like. I bought one of those last week and was gonna put it on this weekend but we are having nasty weather.

:(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts