VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday we picked up my second New Beetle, Jimmy, at Gene Messer VW in Lubbock, TX.

My previous bug, Tommy, was a red 1998 that provided many long years (11 and a half) of driving satisfaction. Sadly, he died on March 6th when I hit a large block of wood at 70 mph and cracked the oil pan, frying the engine before I realized what had happened and could stop it in time.

Somehow fate worked everything out, and a week later I am the proud owner of a 2010 Salsa Red 2.5L, with a Tiptronic transmission.

I haven't had a chance to take any great photos yet, but here's few to get started. Many more to come!

When we arrived the dealer was giving him a bath:

And here he is just waiting for me to get in and drive him the first time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got out to take some more pics of Jimmy!

With Texas' first skyscraper, the ALICO building:

And finally, His Birth Certificate came in the mail. (Shh! Don't tell him he really has FIVE Cylinders!)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think someone still makes these by hand, probably modifying a template (That VW graphic has been used for 12 years! Note those care are all 1998s!) Someone gets lazy or forgets to take the 4-Cylinder out from the template.

It's no big deal; I think it's kind of funny!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who does the VW birth certificate ... is it the dealer or do they come from VW company? Never seen them before (course am a brand new firtst time VW owner as of this month).

It's been fun going thru all the photos and comments.
VW direct. Call this number:

800-822-8987

They are free. Takes about 10 days.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This weekend I went to Hearne, TX to see UP 844 (You can see the rest of my pics on flickr, and check out this Youtube video: YouTube - UP 844 Arrives in Hearne ). I got a few shots of Jimmy, too.

At a cool diner. Had some nasty, greasy food there...the way diners should be!

]

Doing some "off-roading"

I turned into this "parking lot" and realized that it was basically just the side of the road with some gravel! You can see where the other cars are parked--I didn't think I could risk pulling up that close! UP 844 is just behind the Double-stack train, which pulled in after I got there! I thought I was cut off from the car, but I was able to hop the track just ahead of the (stopped) locomotive.

Finally, downtown Hearne, which was really depressing. Very empty!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Recently Jimmy and I took a 3000 mile round trip to the Tail of the Dragon and other parts of the south. Here are some pictures of our adventure.

On the way to Murfreesburo:

Lens Flares!

About to head to Bryson City on 74:

At the Ridge Top with some friends:

Driving the Dragon:

Bud Vase Detail:

After the Dragon, resting:

An unwelcome visitor:

Tunnel Hill in...Tunnel Hill, GA:

With the marker 2 miles north of Ringgold, GA, indicating the end of the Great Locomotive Chase, which I retraced during the trip:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I don't think we DID get to talk. :( You're right, there were so many people it's hard to meet them all. That's just the nature of these events! :) Guess I'll see you in Roswell in 2011!

The cat was at my Grand-Aunt Ginny's house in Roanoke, VA. He (she?) DID slide down the windshield and part of the hood, but I have not seen any scratches that I know of, Thank God. Of course, I haven't washed the car since the trip yet.

But if there are minor scratches I'll just have to chalk them up to battle scars from the trip...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
another tommy? :D
Took me a bit to realize you meant the tag in the bud-vase. Yes, that was carried over from my previous NB, which was named "Tommy."

At B&N the other day and had to take a sunset photo with the iPhone.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Haven't posted to the thread in a while! Jimmy turns one year old today according to his birth certificate. Built 2/4/2010.

We are having a very rare SNOW DAY here in Waco today, with about 3 inches accumulated from last night. I have the day off of work and I'm celebrating Jimmy's Birthday by NOT getting out and driving in the snow!

Meanwhile, here's a picture of the dusting he got!

Jimmy snow dusted by Cameron_Talley, on Flickr

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Epic thread bump! So, Jimmy is currently sitting in the driveway with a dead battery, dead tail and headlights, and overdue for an oil change. I'm waiting on some funds and then I'd like to start trying to fix him up as best as I can. I'll need to replace some of the grille parts and probably the front seats as they are torn up from years of sitting in the Texas sun. The headliner is also sagging so that will have to be replaced, too. I've also got a tiny dent in the front bumper thanks to a fender bender (totally my fault), but I don't forsee replacing that anytime soon as it would be too expensive and I don't want to make an insurance claim.

Anyway, here are some more pictures of Jimmy through the years!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.