VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while but figured I would finally join and make a post. I work at a Midas shop and was able to pick up a customers 2001 VW Beetle GL that needed extensive repairs but I was able to get it for a song.

The car came in with a broken timing belt. It ended up needing valves and the customer declined the repair. So here is Daizye

I don't have too much VW experience and basically bought it for a winter car. I also own 2 B13 Sentra SE-Rs and 2 Nissan NX2000s and will not drive them in the salty environment that New England is during the winter.

Being bit by the modification bug just repairing it wouldn't of been enough. Trying to avoid a full blown project on this one... but that isn't going well.

Here is the head off the car, it's a 2.0 valve. I sent the head out to my friend Jamie Marsh of Marsh Tuning to port the head and picked up a used but still good 264 (I think) cam for her.

Bottom end looks ok, no visible damage to pistons etc

The car is a 5 speed which is great... it is currently sitting on the stock steel wheels on brand new snow tires I purchased from work.

I picked up these for the spring time to get refinished. Everything about the car is on a budget. The used cam was 50, the wheels only cost me 60 dollars. They were rattle canned, here is a picture after a quick scuff.

Ordered a new center brake light lens as the old one is broken. Just ordered new stretch bolts for the dogbone and have a set of dogbone inserts ready to install.

Future plans include:

Sticky summer tires
Refinish and paint the Montreal IIs and find center caps
ST Coilovers

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Welcome to the org and out of the lurk-o-sphere :D

Cool deal on the beetle man- congrats. Looks like you're doing it up right. Keep the pics coming and keep us posted on the beetle resurrection.

We had one guy in your area start DubConn. A new beetle club for the CT area. His bug baecme too much for Him- wasn't a DIY type, and got rid of the bug as well as bowed out of running DubConn. Maybe you and a some others can get DubConn up and running.

Also check my signature for the org members Facebook group. Hoping you can network with other New England beetle buds:cool:.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Welcome to the Org

Nice looking Bug you got there.

Next time I am up there I will give you a shout. I grew up in Avon!

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!
Hello from the warm reaches of North Carolina!

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I was bored last night so after sanding the wheel in my spare bedroom I washed it in my bath tub and finally primed it.

Because I sanded basically the entire wheel to bare metal I used self etch, followed by high build to help fill in some of the imperfections.

Looking for suggestions on color too. Also does anyone know where I can order center caps?

In other news... I am talking to a guy about a supercharger. Sounds like I may have a full blown project on my hands.

SMH

-Jimmi

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No supercharger for me. Going to stick with N/A for now.

Still waiting on my head at the machine shop, also waiting on stretch bolts from the dealer to install the dogbone bushings.

That is all for now.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I love that you're resurrecting this New Beetle! There is just something about them, right? :wink2:

I would like to move this thread to the "Photos: New Beetle" forum, so you can use it as your personal album. Can I?

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
So cool that you rescued this bug from the scrapper. Too many owners play Russian Roulette with their timing belt! Have fun with your project. The mods never seem to end....:p

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love that you're resurrecting this New Beetle! There is just something about them, right? :wink2:

I would like to move this thread to the "Photos: New Beetle" forum, so you can use it as your personal album. Can I?
That is absolutely fine with me, was hoping someone would for me.

Is that like a members ride section? I plan on adding to this thread as I do more and more.

So cool that you rescued this bug from the scrapper. Too many owners play Russian Roulette with their timing belt! Have fun with your project. The mods never seem to end....:p
Thanks, it is fun so far although my boss is already complaining about me having my Beetle and another Sentra SE-R (not mine) at my shop. As I am still waiting on my head from the machine shop can someone suggest a few decent, cheap and fun modifications to do the car.

I have heard Audi TT shifter somethings for a shorter throw?

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I have DieselGeek's short shifter. I've had it since June and I really like it. DG also sells aluminum skid plates, which is a very practical and important addition to protect the oil pan. Any of the plastic interior pieces can be removed, primed and painted. Same for engine cover. Replace shift boot with a black leather boot made by purseinboots on Etsy. Replace headliner. Paint calipers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ordered center caps off of eBay for really cheap! And they fit perfect too, I just don't remember which person I ordered from /:

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Been using my discount frequently...
30% dealer parts makes it pretty reasonable.

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Getting toward the holidays so spending will have to slow down for a bit.

I am going in tomorrow after the shop closes, I am going to toss in the new OEM center brake lamp lens and perhaps scrape the stickers off the back bumper.

It is killing me waiting on the machine shop to get the head back to me. I just want her to run so I know it's good and I can do more stuff to her!

I sold the stock hub caps to a customer for 40 dollars this week.

I also ordered a couple more things for the car. Also heard that Santa is bringing me a key fob protector... in matching yellow and a 70mm ball end antenna both from ECS tuning.

I also used my work discount to order TT pedal covers, much nicer then the grimy rubber ones the car come with.

After the holiday I will order the 911 coolant cap and also order Turbo S dead pedal with my discount.

Also what do you guys think of these? Are there a better OEM or quality aftermarket source... I want the best possible parts for this car!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-Jetta-MK4-4-Passat-B5-B5-5-New-Beetle-Bora-Wagon-Euro-Sport-Door-Pins-2D-/360786228581?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2001%7CMake%3AVolkswagen%7CModel%3ABeetle%7CSubmodel%3AGL%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.0L&hash=item540088f565&vxp=mtr

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still waiting on the cylinder head from my buddy. Progress has been slow unfortunately. Look for a big update soon though!

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am getting the cylinder head back this weekend, unfortunately I broke my foot recently so I am relying on some buddies to help with install.

That's all for now

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Thanks for the update! Keep up the good work. :clap:

And, sorry about the foot.... :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Sounds like you two are having fun together already. Keep up the good work :D Can't wait for the big update...and more pics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cylinder head update

Got the head back from my buddy Jamie. 8 new valves installed. Ported the head quite a bit. I tried to show inside the port but the lighting isn't great.

I am waiting to grab the cam from my friend. He also sold me a set of ECS Tunings lightweight pullies for the car. I am picking up an Ansa 2.25 SS exhaust off a jetta for 100 dollars.

Installed the new center brake light lens. Ordered a black leather with yellow stitching shift boot. To match my new shift knob a friend made.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts