NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just replaced my catalytic converter yesterday, and FINALLY the loud tin can rattle noise is history. However, the car has accrued a new noise that occurs only when decelerating, for the most part. It sounds like a jingle noise. Like, literally sounds like those high-pitched salvation army bells. Any idea what this might be?

I've heard of the exhaust hanger issue, and will check that out this weekend. I somehow doubt that though since most accounts pin that as a more metallic noise. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help! :)

Brandon

·
Registered
14,058 Posts
Did you install it or have a shop do the work? If you had a shop do the work; return the car to the shop and have them check out the problem, sometimes things need to be adjusted after a install. It sounds like; somewhere along the exhaust system, the hanger system is not connected, broken parts (rubber donuts/rings, brackets, flex pipe, etc.), brackets aren't tightened enough and/or the system is making contact with the body? This sort of thing; is easiest to diagnose, with the car up on a hydraulic lift but you could put it on jack stands... go under the car and start shaking the exhaust system until you hear the noise; find out what it is doing or where it is coming from.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hi all,

Just replaced my catalytic converter yesterday, and FINALLY the loud tin can rattle noise is history. However, the car has accrued a new noise that occurs only when decelerating, for the most part. It sounds like a jingle noise. Like, literally sounds like those high-pitched salvation army bells. Any idea what this might be?

I've heard of the exhaust hanger issue, and will check that out this weekend. I somehow doubt that though since most accounts pin that as a more metallic noise. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help! :)

Brandon
What year and engine do you have??

It could be the alternator pulley causing the serpentine idler to make noise??

Also the center exhaust hangers are FAMOUS for the welds breaking.

Easy test, grab the tail pipes and if they move A LOT, side to side/rotate, then likely your center exhaust hanger welds are broken.

This is how I fixed mine!! Top quality stainless steel!!

Amazon.com: Victor Automotive 1-7/8 - 2-3/4 Hose Clamp 4Cd V36: Sports & Outdoors

1 - 3 of 3 Posts