NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Beetle 2.0 (gas) with 160,000 miles. The pick your own junck yard has 5 cars. The junk yard is very cheap so i was going to pick up a few parts that are common failures (alternator, starter, hood/trunk struts, etc). Any suggestions of parts to stock up on? I am new to the Beetle and VW. Thanks

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
parts

I don't think you would want a starter, I don't see that many failures out there. I would pass on the struts also since you would want to replace those with new ones. Get like the CV axles, front grill if it has the fog lights cause those are expensive even online. get the 4 wire large fan if yours has that cause it's expensive even online. Get the glove box since those are common failure and very expensive at dealer and online, most folks just repaired theirs including me. I'm not paying 300+ bucks for a cheap plastic glove box that's gonna break again real soon once you put it on.:rant2:

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
Extra interior switches (e.g. window, unlock, etc.); are nice to have, as they all seem to break eventually. Belt buckle; receivers tend to break and throw a CEL. Interior parts in general; break as the sun gets to them, when things are cheap... anything you might end up breaking is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
I second the switches and seat belt buckle. Maybe any smaller dash pieces that are in good shape, turn signals and rear marker lights possibly, especially if they have clear corners.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,404 Posts
Belt buckle; receivers tend to break and throw a CEL.
Second this idea, especially on the earlier NBs.

I have an '01 with the black two-wire connector for the seat belt buckle.

I contacted three VW dealer parts departments within the last 24 hours (including Zeb at 1stvwparts.com) and learned the earlier seat belt buckle is no longer available thru VW..."obsolete."

I'll be scrounging junkyards in earnest for a replacement buckle, since Iki won't pass inspection with an airbag light on. :wink2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips. I'll make sure to grab a buckle, glovebox, and extra switches. Also nice there are not many major part failures to worry about. My starter does not disengage fast enough and i get a grinding noise sometimes which is why i mentioned the starter, but it may just need some grease.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
junkyard

well I was comparing parts from a junkyard instead of new OEM. If you want new junkyard quality parts go to ebay. LOL :p

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts