VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Did you check the wiring harness;? Inspect the flex area, where the harness goes from the body to the hatch door; the wires, eventually break there, killing power to the door. You can repair the broken wires, using butt connectors with the adhesive lined heat shrink type, which seals out water, eliminates corrosion, etc

Also, make a jumper and test the lock actuator, by itself and confirm it is still good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Grand daughters 2002 Turbo S, 264258 miles on the odometer just arrived in my garage, is now my new project, has much to be done.
RH heated mirror glass gone, rear hatch can hear it run sometimes but does not release, (switch and latch assy?)
need to un lower and rebuild suspension, paint clear coat has gone somewhere. B pillar seat belt height adjuster stuck and short people need it LOW.
To the Plus I had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, Tstat and serpentine belt and both front axels with cv joints replaced at a German auto repair shop in Salem, about 18000 miles ago.
These wet vw's are new to me, some familiarity with air cooled as I spent a lot of time with Gene Berg in Renton WA during the mid 60's. Will probably get a scanner, no codes now but it is old (like me) and has lots of miles. any input as to good parts suppliers and shop in the Albany/Salem Oregon area would be appreciated. Gary W7TZS
I use ecs tuning for most for the parts I have needed for my wife’s 03 Turbo S. Some of the parts are specific to the beetle, others you can use the Golf 337/20th. During one of your oil changes you will want to drop the oil pan and make sure that the oil pick up is not plugging off. Don’t ask how I know ;). Welcome aboard.

Duane

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
fixed the hatch problem!
Found a bad connection between the contacts, ground wire in the brown connector. contact cleaner was a temp fix, did not last so cut and spliced the wires together with a disconnect terminals.
now on to the nextt

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Good work, harness and wiring issues, are typical and solve many power related issues! If you have any photos of the location and repair, this info can help, the next person with a similar problem, thanks!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good work, harness and wiring issues, are typical and solve many power related issues! If you have any photos of the location and repair, this info can help, the next person with a similar problem, thanks!!

I should have thought of that but the trim panel is already back on the hatch. Still have to put a hideaway handle on the mechanical pull wire I put on the hatch latch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's pretty cool did you have to remove and drill the inside paneling for that? i need to put one of those for my gas tank lid since it's been intermittently wanting to fail lately. i've just been putting it off have to many other projects to do.
about a 1/4 inch hole in the finger cutout in thew hatch trim. I plan on velcroing a t handle to the panel with a shortened wire. Wirw used is picture hanging wire

21 - 30 of 30 Posts