NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I just picked up a 1999 GLS 2.0. So far, super happy with it. Only problem: I only have one key...period.

What is a second key fob going to cost me? I have never had a car before that used one, and I have already been told by my wife that she wants one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I could use an answer to this question as well - especially if someone has an extra used one laying around. I went on eBay looking for one - found one for $14.00 and only realized after the sale ended that it does not include the electronics. So now I will have the case but no electronics for it when I actually need both. Anyone have any idea where we can get new key fobs with the chip without spending the arm, leg and new born that VW will want?

·
Registered
19 Posts
ESC Tuning, a sponsor here, has a passive key entry system that is about half of what dealership charges to sell you and program a new key. They claim, "Installation is easy with the DIY instructions..."

By the way, generic fobs non-programmed on EBay are reasonably priced. I believe all you need to do is insert the chip from ESC and your good to go, but give them a call to confirm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts