NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Hey everyone!!! just bought a 2001 NB Turbo, I have always wanted one and now I finally have it!!!

ok so now that the honeymoon is over, onto the problem(s) im having

2 things that are concerning me...

1. I was driving today, and I noticed the oil light came on, it blinked a few times then went off, came back on about 30 sec later, blinked a few times, then off again, this cycle happened till finally it just stayed on blinking permanently...until I stopped the car, at a red light or similar, then the light goes off....until I start moving again...then the cycle starts all over again..

2. so I was driving, and I noticed this god awful smell, sitting at a red light it slowly creeped into the car, smelled honestly like Fireworks/gunpowder/maybe oil??...a combo of all 3...when you open the hood, you can really smell it, BAD...now I did some digging in the forums, and it seems other members have had this problem, and it was due to a faulty Emmisions hose...just wondering if anyone else has expierenced this..i thought it was a electrical smell..but I dunno

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Michael

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
I'm no mechanic. But, I did recently experience the flashing oil light. Have the fuse block checked. That is the box on top of the battery. :eek:

Otherwise. Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, glad to be here

by check do you mean examine for bad fuses, or do you mean examine to see if its burnt out?

I have read the horror stories of other NB owners that this fuse box constantly burns out...:(

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
It you look at the fuse block on top of the battery, you'd be able to clearly see any melting wires and such. I don't know if that is your issue, but I would check that. :eek:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You may need to stop driving the car NOW. Otherwise catastrophic engine damage could occur.

The VW 1.8t motors had a bad problem with the oil pick up clogging up due to sludge like deposits. The only way to resolve the problem is to remove the oil pan an replace the oil pickup.

Overall is it not too much harder than changing your oil. Only the last 4 bolts at the rear of the engine are tricky to see and access, but with the appropriate tools, not bad.

Parts wise you are only looking at around $40 for the oil pick up, 2 O-rings, and Permatex Ultra Black sealer as there is no oil pan gasket on these engines. You should also replace the orange plastic dipstick tube while you are under the hood, very cheap and easy as the dipstick tube breaks and gets caught in the oil pickup as well.

Here is what I would do, put a can of SeaFoam in the crankcase for now. It may help you buy some time, but if the oil light does come on, you need to manage it by allowing the engine to idle back down and the oil light to go off. Do not drive for any distance with the oil light on.

Next you want to make sure the thermostat is good in the engine. I would bet your engine is running too cool and this is this is the primary cause of the oil pick up becoming clogged over time. See the 2nd link below in my signature on Thermostats and engine temperature.

To verify your engine temp, you need a OBDII scan tool of some sort. You need one anyway as you have a car that is outside of the manufacturers warranty. See the 1st link below in my signature for info on OBD Scan Tool Info.

A lot of folks may say it is just the oil pressure sensor or wiring, which is could be, however, the car is almost 13 years old, you likely do not know the full history and the oil pickups plugging up in these car is a COMMON problem where VW even replace a lot of engines and even changed the oil spec for these engines after they were sold, mid way thought the production window of these engines!

You did not say where you lived, but I would assume that this car spent most if not all of its life in the Northern half of the US or Canada and near a major metro location. If you could tell us where you live and the vehicle mileage this would probably confirm this for me.

This is one of those ask me how I know situations? I am the original owner of my car and this problem happened to me at 70k miles. I maintained the car but had no idea the thermostat had failed soft and the engine was running too cool. Engine oil would not warm up enough to cook out excessive water vapor.

Just search around on the forum here and other VW forums for keywords "oil pick up" and "sludge" and you will be overwhelmed with what you find.

Once you get this issue resolved, time for the timing belt and water pump. You may also need an alternator pulley as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow very informative!!!!

ok so let me explain the whole situation, I literally bought the car on Saturday, as you will notice I posted all this Sat night, ok so I had been researching and researching this car before I bought it, I found one at a used car dealer for 3400, it has 82k miles on it, and its in pretty good shape, im almost 100% sure its a up north car due to the amount of rust underneath the car (all over the calipers, rotors, control arm surfaces, etc etc..)...ok so sat afternoon I test drove the car, and I loved it!!, it drove good, had nice power, and overall the ride seemed solid...(no oil light then)..well my wife was with me, and she noticed that it dripped like a super tiny drip of oil, so I talked to the guy about it, and he blamed the fact they had just replaced the whole oil pan, due to fact it hit a rock or something and bashed a whole in it, well he threw it up on the lift, (where I discovered all the rust)well the half-ass mechanic said "well all this oil is from up top, when we replaced some gaskets" well it seemed logical, but it was bull****...well after I purchased the car, it was on the way home I noticed the light and smell problems...well I forgot the tag to my old car, so we drove back to the lot, and on the way was when it started with the oil light issue, well I stopped thhe car b4 the lot and I noticed the oil was leaking at a much faster rate, not major OMG fast but it was dripping ....so I told the guy, "look man fix my car, its already got problems"...well he was very eager to fix it, I could tell he was eager to fix it and provide me with satisfaction....well I talked to him this morning and they were just starting to examine and repair it, so I guess we shall see on that, as far as the smell goes, does anyone know what that might be??

anyways , I have read numerous posts concerning the oil pickup tube and related stuff........I am pretty good with cars, so im confident I will be able to fix it...but yeah, if you got any more ?? let me know....

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Make the dealer fix the car, on the lift it is a 1.5 hour job at the most for someone that knows what they are doing and will only cost them about $25 in parts, assuming the save the oil when they drain it, assuming it is fresh and relatively new, then strain and reuse it.

I would also want to see pictures and have them hand me the original oil pick up.

If they will not do the job completely, ask them how much it would cost and possibly split the cost with them?

Again, I would not pay more than $250 for the job since I have personally pulled the pan on my 1.8t.

Once the lower engine cover is off the car, assuming it even has one, except for the 4 rear bolts, the pan will be off in no time.

Do not allow them to clean the pickup, just replace the stupid thing. Its less than $30 for an OE one.

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T Search SiteSearch Oil Pickup

The will need the pickup, 2 O-rings and a tube of Permatex Ultra Black sealer.

Pictures of mine with 70k miles and orange dipstick tube parts in it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
congrats

congrats on the new beetle and I feel for ya guy because these cars start falling apart around 10-13 years. You got your self a bumpy road ahead my friend, hope you like mechanics and working on your own cars because you gonna be doing that, oh and buy lots of tools cause you gonna need them..LOL :D good luck to ya.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW!!!....thanks for the advice lol (wish I wouldn't have bought the car now, lol J/K) I love my beetle and its just plain obvious almost any car with 13-13 years on it is gonna have problems...

UPDATE!!!

replaced Oil Pickup Tube!!! Fixed Blinking Oil Light!!!

Had a small leak, turns out it was leaking from the sending unit!!

the smell I was concerned about, turns out it was the Cataltic Converter crappin out, didn't really fix that yet, as I want a Turbo back system, gotta wait a week or so for the money, so yeah lol

Thank you all for the advice and tips...

so question though about part of the turbo system...

I bought this car cuz I have always thought they were cute, and I plan to ake it go fast, yes I know it will be costly as I have owned plenty of cars that to make fast cost ridiculous amounts of money...this wikl be no diff

so my first performance plans are to do a Turbo Back exhaust system and some sorta better intake system, I would like to do a Chip or some sort of software upgrade to compliment the better flow, my question is, is this the first things I should be doing in terms of performance oe are other things recommended first?

also as far as a BOV is concerned, I keep hearing that we use DV instead of a BOV, someone told me for 1.8t's the DV system is better...is this true? and why?

also whats are stock PSI output?, and how much is safe limit on stock internals/..io was thinking at least 15-18 would be safe..i dunno though

thank you

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Before you think the smell is due to a bad catalytic converter, it may be due to poor fuel control due to a mixture problem.

What is the Long Term Fuel Trim at a warm idle and what is the engine temperature operating at? The thermostats get soft in these cars and open too early, this is why your oil pick up was restricted.

You likely need a new thermostat, get this done ASAP.

It can be replaced without removing the alternator, see the first link below in my signature.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do I figure out the "Long term fuel trim"? and temperature wise, how do I figure the temp of the motor with a idiot lite lol?

probably would be a good investment to get some gauges huh?

fuel trim determined by A/F ratio guage??

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
SilverBullet
2 Posts
I have a 2001 Turbo also. I beleive there is an oil sensor. It may be that the connection to or sensor is going bad....explaining both the oil light and smell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts