NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
<--Not a self portrait.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Chuck and I am the proud owner of a 2001 New Beetle GLX Sport 1.8T 5-spd. Before Saturday, I had never driven a car with a manual transmission. On Sunday I took it out and had a blast. It's pretty darned fast, but I think I want to make it just a tad bit faster. It came with a decent aftermarket head unit, but I would like to replace the speakers some time in the near future. The car did not come with an owners manual, so learning how to use the accessories has been a small challenge. I've been browsing the forums for a few days now and already feel that I've learned alot. I'm looking forward to many more years with this great automobile.

·
Super Moderator
14,770 Posts
Welcome to the Org! :wave3:

You have discover that the VW 5-speed is the easiest manual to drive. My 16 year old niece got the hang of it with two clutch depressions, then she tackled my 6-speed manual, and now she's hooked! :lol:

Congratulations to you for your 1.8T NB. You are gonna love it! :party:

·
Registered
566 Posts
You are going to love that car. I got the same setup about 4 months ago. I had the bug (no pun intended) to make mine a tad bit faster and found the cure to be an APR chip. www.goapr.comIt's a great mod for the money and most say it should be one of the first mods. However once you get used to the power, which takes about a month, the bug comes back and now I want to again go a tad bit faster. Enjoy you driving experience and don't forget do post up some pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Welcome! You'll find many secrets of the new beetle --- like if you turn the key in the driver door forward and then backward and hold it, all the windows and sun roof will open or close! Neat stuff! Any time you've got a question, feel free to post.. but I would recommend doing a search in the old forums as well as these newly redesigned ones first.

Happy buggin -- and btw congrats on the 5-speed!!

·
Your mileage may vary
7,566 Posts
chucksaysword said:
My name is Chuck and I am the proud owner of a 2001 New Beetle GLX Sport 1.8T 5-spd. Before Saturday, I had never driven a car with a manual transmission. On Sunday I took it out and had a blast. It's pretty darned fast, but I think I want to make it just a tad bit faster. It came with a decent aftermarket head unit, but I would like to replace the speakers some time in the near future. The car did not come with an owners manual, so learning how to use the accessories has been a small challenge. I've been browsing the forums for a few days now and already feel that I've learned alot. I'm looking forward to many more years with this great automobile.
Is it a GLS or GLX? Either way, congratulations, good luck, and welcome!

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Alan From NYC said:
Is it a GLS or GLX? Either way, congratulations, good luck, and welcome!
Actually, as I recall, the Sport is officially neither a GLS or a GLX -- it's its own trim level. However, it's identical to a GLX as far as what it comes with -- and also idential to a fully-loaded GLS.

·
<--Not a self portrait.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the kind words. According to the VIN, it is a GLS. I'm sure I will still have fun with it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts