VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I hope I'm doing this right, since it's my first post.
I bought the car just to have a second car around. It has 97,000. The first code I that came up was a P0117, so I replaced the coolant temp sensor. It was still overheating, so the water pump (of course) was replaced along with the timing belt and tensioner. They flushed the coolant and put in Proline antifreeze for all makes and models. I've had it back for a couple of days and I got a P2181 code. I've read different posts saying that it could be the different antifreeze, the thermostat, the coolant temp sensor again or the radiator fan. Is my radiator fan supposed to come on when I put the key in, turn the fan to #1. The other fan does come on, but the radiator fan doesn't Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I should have kept my "68 bug.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
16501/P0117 - Ross-Tech Wiki

18613/P2181/008577 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Did they replace the thermostat; when they did the timing belt/water pump? If they didn't; I would replace the thermostat. Make sure you buy a high quality thermostat and you might buy a new plastic coolant flange/seal, while you're at it, they leak after a while and don't cost that much. The universal coolant; will probably work but the vw specific coolant is recommended by vw, for best protection and keeping everything working as it should (keep corrosion down in the water passages; keep the water pump seals lubricated, etc.).

You can read and learn more about vw coolant here:

Vw Coolant - Vw G11 G12 Coolant - Pink Purple Vw Coolant

Having said all that; since I am sure you spent allot of money on the timing belt/water pump replacement; I would take it back to the place that did the work and have them correct the problem, finish the repair (they should backup/warranty their repairs). Since, they may replace the thermostat and all the coolant will come out; you might consider, having them flush the system and put in the correct VW spec. g12/g13 coolant in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help

I questioned the use of a different antifreeze and they assured me that it would be fine. But that could be because they don't stock G12. I'll go ahead and do the thermostat, too. How about the radiator fan not running as I described? Fan problem or thermostat?

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
Welcome to the Org. Sorry to hear of your overheating problems! :( Hope you can find out whats up!

Dont forget to share some pics! We love pics!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A couple of questions: when you say, "turn the fan to #1"; do you mean, you have the a/c button depressed (on) and you are turning the fan on to the 1 speed? With the a/c on; both fans should come on, if only one is coming on... one of the speeds of the radiator fan, might be burned out? This thread; should help you diagnose your fan issues:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...3260-summers-coming-here-check-your-fans.html

What sort of shop; did the work; do they specialize in VW or just a general auto repair shop? Using "universal" coolant; is more of a convenience, availability and cost issue for them. You can get coolant from your VW dealer or you can order Pentosin from most auto parts stores: you can look up the correct Pentosin coolant for your car here (click on "find parts 24/7): Pentosin - Home

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
Welcome to the Org, Sorry you are having so many problems, but when yu do get it worked out, you are going to love driving them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Forum!!!!!!!

It was a general auto repair shop. I have a warranty that I purchased and the specialty shop I called wouldn't accept it. But I did talk to the mechanic and he knew a lot about VW's. It's my screw up on the antifreeze. I knew better, but just went with it.
As far as the radiator fan goes, with the key on and the air on at fan speed #1 it doesn't move. So I guess I'll do the procedures to check out the fan.
This is a real learning experience. I could do most anything on the old 1968 VW.
Thanks for all of the replies (and I DO LOVE driving it) My favorite cars are this one, my old '68 and a Porsche 914 I used to have.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, there DEFINITELY; is a learning curve working on these cars! I have had my New Beetles since 2000 and am doing all the repairs myself; I am learning new things about how to repair it all the time, this site really helps! The New Beetles are modern vehicles; they have, allot of onboard computers and you really need to access the codes, that they throw... when things go wrong. If you haven't already; get a cheap vw scanner (check amazon.com for a vag405 or newer vs450) or go all the way, with a factory level scan tool VCDS (rosstech.com). The reason you need a VW compatible scanner; is there are codes that reside in the ecu, that you will never see on a "normal" generic, obd II scanner and these codes, will REALLY help you troubleshoot and fix your VW! VCDS has a depth and capability; that is incredible and will take you into the modern world of automotive troubleshooting and repair, that is common across all brands of cars these days! :)

Keep plugging away at the problems you are having; keep asking for help and get a vw code reader, we will do our best to help you get your New Beetle in tip top shape and keep it running at its best! Get the code reader ASAP; you will need it! :)

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little more help, please

OK, I think I have narrowed my problem down to the radiator fan not working. I know that you test it by running power directly to fan- power and ground. But here's my dumb question-there are three terminals on the plug. Is one of these for the ground and the others power to the fan? Or do I just ground the negative on, say the negative cable for the battery and then connect power to one of the three terminals on the plug?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts