VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I figured this would be the best place to ask this question where i'm sure at least one of you owned a 98 Beetle. First and for most, I'm loving this go kart, it's flashy, fun and the gas mileage is phenomenal compared to my Dodge Ram.

Now the meat and potatoes, the Beetle has 200k on the motor, the front end is very tight, there is minimal leaks under the car, the transmission is very solid, shifts into every gear with no issue (even though, finding 5th was a trial and error of bumping into 3rd every now and then), what should I do as for care if I want to get another 200k out of it?

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Check the timing belt. If you don't know when it was last replaced, you might want to do it for peace of mind since these engines are interference engines. So a broken timing belt will mean internal engine damage (e.g. bent valves).

The first thing I did to ours was the timing belt and water pump. Kits are sold which include everything you need (including motor mount stretch bolts and VW coolant). You'll also need a timing belt tensioner tool (about $20 online) to properly install the timing belt tensioner.

Other than that it's the "routine maintenance" type of stuff. Keep up on your fluid changes, filter changes, plugs and wires, and etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts