NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I live just west of Gainesville Fl. I bought a 2001 Silver 1.8T with 93,000 miles. My favorite mechanic looked it over and said "beautiful car, I can't work on them". A quick call to Continental Imports in G'ville resulted in a conversation with a group that sound like they want new customers. With great relief they told me this car had a timing belt water pump change at 80K, thank you. I'll post a few pics when I've detailed her (she needs a name too). What a pleasure to drive. I have a few questions that I'll bet I can find answers to here. I'm reading posts and doing searches but I felt the need to say hello so here goes, The interior black plastic housings on both doors that contain the door handles (not the grips) come out when pulling the handle. The "barbed" parts that secure this assembly to the door are intact. I assume they have weakened. Can they be re positioned with mild heat? Could I tack them in with something like polyurethane caulk?
A portion of the dash has a "skin" on it. I mean it sheds. If I run a fingernail over it, I leave a slight trail and get a little clump of black under my nail. Is this common ? Does anyone know of a reason not to put a K & N air filter on this car? Thanks in advance. It's funny, I'm 54 and I've never owned a car that has such a fun, friendly community behind it. I traded a Tundra for this baby because my new job will require quite a bit of commuting. I thought I'd drive her until I found a gem in the Toyota family (drove them since '92). One week with her and reading this forum and I am definitely rethinking that. Thanks in advance. P.S. 20 years with Toyota and I never heard of their owners have a drive together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome from one newbie to another. Since I took ownership this week, I too think I have been driving the wrong car too long :D I too am curious on the K&N Filter replacement?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Welcome! You need to be careful about the K&N. Too much oil on the filter can foul the MAF. Also, the stock setup is pretty good. I'm running a stock airbox and filter and no issues in my 1.8T, and mine has more HP than yours.

I am also curious how they know the belt was done at 80k. Do they have records of it?

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Post some pictures of the door handle assembly issue; it is common for the door handle to crack and break. This vendor has made a repair kit for it; essentially reinforces the weak plastic. I don't know if this is exactly your issue but check out these kits, the handle breaks allot on the door panel.

beetle brace

New Beetle Broken Door Handle Fixes

check out their install videos; to see how they do the repair.

Beetlebrace

I have been running a K&N filter since day 1; I would recommend it, the improved performance is noticeable and I have never had to replace my maf yet.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
WELCOME TO THE ORG and CONGRATS on your New Beetle find! YES,THEY ARE A BLAST TO DRIVE AND DRIVE THEY WILL :D

Cudos to you for researching your cars repair history with the timing belt AND water pump :p.
As for the dash scrapings .....here's what I did.
Here's a link:

Volkswagen New Beetle Dash Cover

Huuumm?? I am trying to load a pic of MY dash over to no avail:confused:

Anyway if you go to our newbeetle.org THREAD ----
NEW BEETLE EXPERIENCE. (subtitle)-----------What have you done for your beetle today?
Look at the bottom of page 60. I have two dash cover pix THERE.

These covers are AWESOME! I love mine :p

Regarding the K&N air filter,that is a GREAT plan for sure! I have done that with my F350 7.3 Diesel p/u and I love it. Some of the orgers have already gone with K&N and I plan to as well :p
(just don't OVER oil The filter....your FIRST filter will be pre-oiled so,you are good for quite a while)
Here's a link:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2001/volkswagen/beetle/air_intake/air_filter.html

Post some new beetle pix on the picture thread and share the NEW BEETLE JOY.

Its GREAT to have you here!!

WELCOME FROM TENNESSEE!:goodjob:

:flipper::nblove::jumpy:

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Welcome from one newbie to another. Since I took ownership this week, I too think I have been driving the wrong car too long :D I too am curious on the K&N Filter replacement?
Hehehe...yup! You HAVE been driving the wrong car toooo long:rolleyes:

We forgive you;)

Sandi
:jester:

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
It's never too late to discover the fun New Beetle! I was 41 when I got my first one. We were a Ford family......I'm now VW Forever! :party: I don't like to say bad things about other cars. The Toyota is a good car, but.....it's not......fun. No soul, bland. :eek: (To me, anyway)

We love pics, clean, dirty, anyway! :)

I never had a car that I loved as much as my VWs. I like to say, the New Beetle is so much fun, it should be illegal! Once you get it, you're addicted. :lol:

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :clap:

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Thank you all for the reply's and great info. The "shop" was able to use the previous owner name that I supplied ( he left an old reg. form in the glove box). Timing belt/ water pump, battery, and replaced leaking thermostat.
I like K & N for the economy. I put 180,000 miles on my last vehicle, at $22 per air filter, the K & N paid for itself in a year. Thank you for the advise about re-oiling, that could be a problem if I'm not careful.
The problem part on the door is the oblong housing around the interior door latch, the one I pull to open the door from the inside.
That dash cover looks like the real deal. The price is nice too.
Has anyone mounted after market supplemental gauges? I'm not "chipped" so having a boost gauge would just be a novelty (maybe a fun one), but I do like to have oil pressure and actual engine temp info.
Right you are about Toyotas. There may be fun models but Camrys and Tundras aren't them.
My wife came to check on me as I've been on here most of the day. I HAD to read the thread about the TOD. You guys know how to have a good time. Damned rain, but it looked like a blast.
Thank you again, I'll search before asking what may end up to be an obvious question.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Hey Gainesville! :yaya: Jacksonville checking in. Welcome to the org.

It's been a great week for new FL orgers- glad to have you aboard. The central/North central FL beetle group is very active. I hope you & the wife will join us for our many new beetle shenanagans.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Thank you all for the reply's and great info. The "shop" was able to use the previous owner name that I supplied ( he left an old reg. form in the glove box). Timing belt/ water pump, battery, and replaced leaking thermostat.
I like K & N for the economy. I put 180,000 miles on my last vehicle, at $22 per air filter, the K & N paid for itself in a year. Thank you for the advise about re-oiling, that could be a problem if I'm not careful.
The problem part on the door is the oblong housing around the interior door latch, the one I pull to open the door from the inside.
That dash cover looks like the real deal. The price is nice too.
Has anyone mounted after market supplemental gauges? I'm not "chipped" so having a boost gauge would just be a novelty (maybe a fun one), but I do like to have oil pressure and actual engine temp info.
Right you are about Toyotas. There may be fun models but Camrys and Tundras aren't them.
My wife came to check on me as I've been on here most of the day. I HAD to read the thread about the TOD. You guys know how to have a good time. Damned rain, but it looked like a blast.
Thank you again, I'll search before asking what may end up to be an obvious question.
Hey! We here at the ORG don't mind trying to answer what you mentioned as 'obvious questions'. That's the GREAT thing about this New Beetle forum:p...THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS. We are ALL here for the LOVE OF THE NEW BEETLE AND TO HELP EACH OTHER floursh and grow with their new beetle experience.

Ask away ......somebody here has the answer for sure. DONT BE SHY. :D

As for OTHER vehicle makes. I own two ford trucks,two dodges AND TWO BELOVED VW beetles.
****THE BEETLES ARE BY FAR MY FAVORITES TO DRIVE HANDS DOWN***

p.s. Tell the wifey we ALL said HELLO and WELCOME to her as well :wave:
Yes,this forum IS addictive :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts