NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am new here but have been lurking a little over the last couple of weeks. I really like the atmosphere here as the members seem to be personal and helpful. It reminds me a lot of the forum that I own about Nissan Titans. For that I say thank you for the good atmosphere!

My wife has loved the beetles ever since they came out and a few weeks ago, we started looking for older used ones. Reason is because we want to save her vehicle. It is a Nissan Quest that we bought new and paid for it very quickly and it is beyond awesome when it comes to toting our family of five on weekend trips, ball games and vacations.

With that being said, we finally decided on a 2002 Sport in silver that has the 1.8T engine with the 5 speed manual tranny. The car is awesome! I drove it all day yesterday and I called her and told her I might not give it back to her and I am used to driving large pick up trucks. But I noticed a couple of things that really don't bother me, but they bother her. It has 146k on it and had a great history of services that were performed at the VW dealership including water pump, belts, plugs, coil packs and the list goes on. Being 10 years old and with 146k on it, I fully expected a few problems here and there and I am fully prepared to fix them. Since I work on Nissan Titans all of the time, I plan to do all of the work myself unless I am out of time.

So on to what I am experiencing now and I am just to get a few questions answered.

First off, the AC is not working. Last night, I ran out and tried the zip tie trick and it didn't work, so I will have to look at fuses etc. later. I will get to it and keep you updated.

P0420. I love this code. Since my Titan has long tube headers, I get this all of the time. However, it isn't supposed to light up on this car. So, I have searched and found quite a few things that I need to check. First things first is the oil change, I want a fresh start since oil changes are not listed at the dealership.

But I am also experiencing turbo surge as I accelerate. So I will check a few things on that as well. BUT, I do not have any codes related to it other than the P0420.

Please give me any tricks and things to look for that most people overlook. If any of you own a Nissan, I will be glad to return the favor. Thank you so much and I look forward to speaking with you!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Verify the engine coolant temperature and the Long Term Fuel Trim at warm idle and steady cruise of about 40-55 MPH.

Engine temp should be a pretty solid 205F.

P0420 is a PITA across all car and truck lines. Many times this is due to excessive carbon build up on the converter due to a cold running engine. Sort the simple stuff first.

Check the links below in my signature if they show up.

Also be prepared to put axles in the car, CV boots do not last, passenger inboard boot is usually first to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really was not ready to hit the post button a little while ago, but I had to go.

What I plan on doing this weekend is the following:

Clean out oil pan and change pick up tube unless I am told otherwise to not do it. Once again, no indication that I am getting sludge or plastic pieces, but I thought it would be good to at least check the pan.

Change the oil and cabin filter

Check the air injection and auxillary.

Change coolant line to turbo.

CV Boots

I have a lot of experience with naturally aspirated engines, but not turbo's. Is it normal on this car to get a surge during acceleration from the turbo? I would think that if it were a problem, that a code would be showing...or at least a pending code. But I am getting nothing. I am going to get a new scan tool that gives me a little more information as you suggested.

The one I keep in my Titan reads all kinds of real time data, but it is linked to that truck.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

We were a Ford family, until 2002, when I got my first VW. I am now VW Forever! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, one other thing. The little spoiler that goes up and down in the back above the rear window...that thing is getting on my nerves. When I stop it goes down, while driving it goes up and it is loud. Is that normal?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Most turbos have a surge, or conversely what is known as turbo lag. Takes a while for the turbo to spin up and create boost, then hang on. The Turbo S has a bit more power/boost than the standard 1.8t.

Not a bad idea to pull the oil pan, not a hard job. If the pan is clean, this is good. You will likely have orange dipstick tube bits in the pan. If the pickup has garbage in it, the engine has been running cold. Not an unusual situation.

Hard coolant pipe along the frame rail is a good idea.

Air pump pipe break about 2 inches from the Combi valve back toward the driver side rear of engine.

Might just swap the axle, VW had remaned axles for about $275 wholesale or check with Raxles.com as well. If the axles are snap in, boots are hard to find, too many axle combinations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It definitely isn't a lag. I know that feeling from riding in a friend of mine's twin turbo Z06. This is a surge in and out when you are over about 3200 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
The spoiler motor can be lubed to cut down on the noise. I never did that, I just get used to it. It brings me comfort. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I will add that to my list this weekend. Thanks for letting me know. The first time it did it, I thought something was rolling around in the back of the vehicle. :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
loud

Oh, one other thing. The little spoiler that goes up and down in the back above the rear window...that thing is getting on my nerves. When I stop it goes down, while driving it goes up and it is loud. Is that normal?
Not normal to make too much noise. I believe there is a switch next to the driver side paneling by the foot Pedals that you can disable that , but not advisable because the car could fishtail if driving on wet road and too much cross wind. If you like working on cars, well you're in for a treat with these beetles. Mine has been a problem since day one, every time I fix one thing two more problems pop up..LOL :D You might also want to clean the Cambi valve which is also part of the emissions systems, make sure the spark plugs are not fouled by oil because these cars are notorious for valve cover gasket going bad. Clean the throttle body valve and recalibrate/realignment. clean the maf sensor, change to high octane fuel only(93-97) make sure the coolant system is above 200f temperature...........Good luck and welcome to newbeetle.org. Keep an eye on the fuses on top of the battery because those tend to corrode and get hot, melt the sockets ........it could get UGLY real quick. LOL:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great info and I thank you very much for it. I will check it out in the morning and if needed, I will order it.

I know that the air injection is leaking because I am getting that quick screech on cold starts. I know that in Nissans, air intake leaks are major causes of P0420 and P0430 codes. This is due to unmetered air (leak after the mass air flow) getting into the engine. The O2 sensors can tell that there is more air than should be in the system and that sets off the cat codes.

I guess I will be able to tell what is going on with the air/fuel ratio when I can do some real time data logging. For now, I have given my wife one of my scanners and I simply told her to check the code and if it is anything other than P0420 to call me. Otherwise, delete it. :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I would make sure you compare the screech to video or sound clips. A screech on cold start can also be a dirty starter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts