NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 NB Turbo just died cruising down the road. It won't crank. I vote for an electrical problem. I ran a diagnostic and came up with P0139, P1340, P0342, P0102, P0328. I believe the crankshaft (speed ) sensor or its wiring may be at fault and the other codes were a result of that failure.

I looked in my Haynes manual and I can't find the crank sensor connector to check it. It does not seem to be where the book shows it, between the secondary air pump and the engine oil dip stick.

In the past month, I have replaced the timing belt, water pump and serpentine belt. I changed the transmission fluid, engine coolant and redid the brakes all around. After each job, the car ran fine with no problems. I am assuming that this latest problem is not connected to any previous work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
but if the timing belt is intact, I bet its the engine rpm speed sensor... sorry I can't help on exact location. But car won't run with a bad one. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the timing belt failed, there would have been a noisy shutdown. There was no noise, just like someone shutoff the engine run switch...and it won't crank. I spoke to the dealer's mechanic who told me he can unplug the speed (crank) sensor w/o removing anything. I found the connector but it is under the secondary air pump and restrained by a clip attached to the exhaust manifold and I am unsure how to open it up. The mechanic also said there were only 2 sensors that would prevent the engine from cranking, the crank (speed) sensor and the camshaft angle sensor which is behind the top timing chain cover. I will check that this AM. Any help with the crank (speed) sensor connector would be appreciated.

Jack

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
I have gone through 2 heads (one in each of my cars) due to the timing belt. The first died when the tensior failed and the crank ripped the teeth off the belt, and there was no niose. The second happened while I was driving and timing jumped 5 teeth, ended up a piece of a bolt got in there and was ratteling around) the car just hic-uped and the motor died.

·
dub-tech.com
13 Posts
No crank? Find a new mechanic. Ain't a sensor in the world gonna stop you from cranking. Crank but no start? Sure, I'll buy that. Those codes definitely point to a bad common ground, but that won't prevent the engine from cranking. If you indeed have a no crank situation, I'd be looking at the ignition switch, fusebox on the battery...possible CCM problem even. If it is crank but no start, I'd be running an auxiliary ground to one of those components to see if the problem subsides, and go from there. They are all interlaced, so grounding one will ground them all. Make sure you ground the correct wire of course ;)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
veedubtek said:
If you indeed have a no crank situation, I'd be looking at the ignition switch, fusebox on the battery...possible CCM problem even.
This ignition switch thing is a good possibility - several threads on the old forums about bad ignition switches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts