VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Beetlers.

I just got a used 98 Beetle, and I love it. Unfortunately, yesterday, my engine died at a stoplight. As I was approaching the light, I cranked my air conditioning up, which I think was too much for my car to bear. As I was idle at the light, my engine slowly slowed down and died. All the lights stayed on. I turned the car off, turned it back on, and went on driving. I watched a video by ChrisFix
that says the problem could be a clogged IAC. But he's not working with VW's, and I don't see anything in my manual about an IAC or even a throttle body. I can barely find anything about this online. If this is the cause of my problems, how can I locate and remove my Idle Air Control valve? Is it connected to the throttle body? How do I locate and remove that?

Sorry if I seem frantic, I need to drive 20 miles to a job interview in two days and these car troubles are freaking me out. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
So, is the car currently running? As always, the first step; would be to scan for trouble codes and post any you find. Also, please post car details:

Year: 1998
Model:
Engine:
Transmission:

Give us more info, any history of issues or repairs; we can go from there. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
With a '98 if you have a gasoline engine it is an AEG 2.0. It does not have an IAC, but rather uses a stepper motor mechanism on the throttle valve to control the idle speed. It has to do what VW calls an adaption to learn the limits of travel. If the battery has been disconnected for more than a few minutes it can forget the adaption and need to relearn. With the AEG this can be done by switching the ignition to the run position without starting for 30 seconds. During this time you should hear a whine from the throttle body as the stepper motor runs. Once it has finished switch the ignition off and then start the engine. If the problem was low idle speed and the throttle body is working correctly this should fix it. Another symptom of needing to relearn the throttle adaption is that the cruise control will not work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts