NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BugGirl86
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

I just bought a new TDI beetle about a month ago. This is the first time having a TDI and I am still learning about them. Right now, my boyfriend and I are trying to get better mileage with the TDI- so far it only gets about 33 mpg city and up to 40 mpg hwy. I will be cruising the forums pretty frequently to get more info about TDIs... :cool:

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
First, welcome to the org!! :)

Has your timing belt and water pump been replaced on schedule? If not, replace it and make sure you get a water pump with a metal impeller. As far as mileage goes, do you have an auto or manual transmission? An auto doesn't get as good mpg. You could also try replacing the fuel filter or switching fuel stations. Cold weather and winterized diesel fuel can make it go down too.

Have fun in your new bug.

·
BugGirl86
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey CoriBug-

Yup, the timing belt, water pump, etc was just replaced. I think the filters will be next to be replaced. Unfortunately the car wasn't cared for very well before we bought it and the previous owners did not know how to care for TDIs either :(

It is an automatic too.

Anyone know what kind of mileage I can expect, assuming we change the filters and get the car in good working order???

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Check the tube that goes into the turbo, for cracks, splits or leaks at the part it connects. Check or change out the fuel sensor as these are cheap and often fail on all TDi's. Although your mileage sounds about right for a TDi. They're shaped like bricks and not aerodynamic ;) Just full of Love :D

·
BugGirl86
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you bought a diesel you may want to check out www.tdiclub.com.It is a forum for VW diesels,lots of good info there and some really good people.
I checked out that forum. It seems a bit smaller than this one but a lot of good info nonetheless.

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
Welcome to the world of TDI! :) How many miles are on your bug? I'm assuming since you said the tbelt was already replaced that you are quickly approaching 100k miles.

From my experience, find a competent TDI mechanic in your area (a list can be found on the TDIclub of the most trusted TDI mechanics in your area...even if it's a 4 hour drive, trust me it's worth it to get it done right), and have the fluid changed in the transmission. VW will tell you it's a sealed transmission and the fluid does not need to be replaced. Trust me, most automatic transmissions fail between 100k-150k miles on TDI's if they aren't properly maintained (sometimes even if they are). I had to have mine swapped to a 5 speed at exactly 150k miles. If you have questions on what to look for, let me know.

You're actually getting pretty decent fuel mileage for being an automatic. Might want to consider trying some fuel additives like Howes. I've seen an increase in a few mpg in my car as well, it also helps protect against gelling and cleans the system out.

TDIclub can be a little overwhelming at first, but there is a LOT of great information over there. The guys there are very smart, sometimes too smart for their own good lol Anyway, I have the same screen name there, as here, so if you want you can message me there and I can link you to some important threads to read over and help hook you up with a guru that might help you get your little bug in shape.

I'm glad you rescued a TDI beetle. You won't be disappointed! :D

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Welcome to the Org! :wave2:

So many newbies with TDIs! :party:

Wish I still had mine....... :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts