NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have built many engines but never a VW. I ended up getting an offer I could'nt pass up on a 98 Beetle with the 2.0 and a 5 speed. The previous owner had an infamous problem with the flange on the head that houses the thermostat or sensor. The bolts stripped so he pulled the head and decided to sell it instead of put it back together. So at this point i have to heli-coil the bolts for the flange. No biggie so far. My big problem is that I've never seen a VW 2.0 assembled, let alone been able to disassemble one! Can someone share some knowledge with me please? I have no clue about what parts to stay away from and what I should use. So far I need a head gasket kit, heli-coil, coolant housing flange, and a coil pack. I'm sure that my list will grow but its a good start for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,098 Posts
GermanAutoParts.com is my go-to for VW parts.

ECSTuning
1stVWParts.com
autohausaz

All are good places to get parts from. Can't really go wrong with any of those places, IMO. Just shop around. Some of them have better prices on certain parts than others.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where I can find exploded parts diagrams or really good pics on how things should go together?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where I can find exploded parts diagrams or really good pics on how things should go together?
Bentley repair manuals contain exploded diagrams. ETKA is also a good thing if you can manage to get access to it to see diagrams and p/n.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My advice would be to look at D2Beetle's thread as he shows a good break down and reinstall of a 2.0 head, it will give you a good idea of what you will need to do.
You could also do a search for other similar threads, lots here and on some of the other forums, maybe some others can also provide links...

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/25533-well-i-did-2.html#post400572

I would also suggest a new timing belt, water pump, tensioner,
You will also need new head bolts, G12 antifreeze, Etc. Probably easiest to purchase a head / timing belt kit as it should have all you need except some special tools, also shown in the post listed above.

For the head alignment tool, take two of your old head bolts cut the tops off and slot them so a flat screw driver fits, install them by hand, install your gasket and head per instructions, use a screw driver to remove the bolts you modified. I'll try and find the ones I modified tomorrow and get a pic and post for you but hopefully you get the idea...

To set the tension on the tensioner use a pair of 90 degree snap ring pliers in place of the special tool...

Ask questions as needed....

Krash

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I need to use 5 old headbolts. 1 with a groove cut into it to clean holes and 4 cut off to use as guides. along with the special headbolt socket that looks like a torx bit but is probably just a special size in between the standard "t" sizes of torx. Does this all sound correct?

Next question; What size bolts go into the coolant flange? I have to drill and tap 2 heli coils and I need the specific size.

Is the Chiltons manual worth anything for the Beetle or should I stay away from it?

I'm actually looking forward to making this thing run, the unknown side of this is'nt a concern of mine at all. And, I love a challenge.

My biggest challenge is'nt the head, it's all of the stuff in the right order and right place around the engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
First of all is the disclaimer - these are the items I have used and ways that I have done it in the past, how and what you use for tools and procedures is up to you...

Head bolts - should not be reused you will need to get new ones, or at least highly recommended, 10 each. Take two of the old ones and modify them so you can use them as alignment tools / guide pins, four if it makes you feel better. If you want to grind the side of one to use as a clean out tool thats up to you or you could get a tap.

Head bolt tools - are either a triple square on the early models or a poly drive is now the replacement, its not the same as a Torx. What you have now doesn't really matter as you should be getting new head bolts so you will need the proper tool for your new head bolts.

DSC_0082.jpg

As for the stripped bolts I am assuming that you are talking about the ones on the backside of the head that hold the coolant flange on? if so they should be 6x1.0 but you need to verify.
its not a good quality but look at the attached PDF.

View attachment 2.0.pdf

Krash

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
I have a '98 head that works if you want it; it is my NB's original head. When I did mine I wanted a little "mechanic" insurance in case I did something wrong and bent the vales on a restart. So I bought a '99 Jetta head and had it rebuilt and installed it.

My original head sits wrapped up on the shelf in the garage. Read the thread link that krash posted it will help you. I can assist you in putting it back together.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang! Now this is the kind of support I was hoping for! I don't think I need a new head. I have a buddy that used to build Infinity Pro race motors. I'm going to have him look at the head.

Thanks for all of the info on my new project. It will be a few weeks until I can afford the parts but until then I'm taking the seats out to clean them and redoing the headliner to get rid of the smoker smell in the car.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted on my progress.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've already got the front seats out and the passenger seat covers reomved. They're pretty nasty and my wife and I don't smoke so I felt that it warranted removing the covers and putting them in the wash. Now I have to find hog rings to reassemble the seats and pick out the material to use on the headliner.

Once again, thanks for the abundace of support.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Soooo, I got the headliner done a few weeks ago. It doesn't look too bad:cool:. The seats are all done, and re-installed along with the carpet. It was all disgusting. Brown stuff ran out of the carpet. The seat covers turned the water black for 3 washes. I have the head parts coming in and will be doing the engine within the next few weeks.:D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Bentley? You just lost me. Bentley like the car?
Amazon usually has them for a little cheaper than Bentley Publishing direct.

Amazon.com: Volkswagen New Beetle Service Manual: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010: Including Convertible (9780837616407): Bentley Publishers: Books

Chilton is no more. You can get a Haynes Repair Manual but it is very limited compared the Bentley Repair Manual. I have a Haynes and I have found more info and help here on this forum than in the Haynes Manual.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Finish your profile so we can tell where you are. You never know someone might be close by to give you a hand when you get ready to reinstall the head.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I updated my profile. I also picked up the gasket kit, head bolts, and heli coil kit today. My 4 day weekend is going to be busy.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I just posted up some info on another thread in the last couple days which may be helpful. Here you go -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/53720-head-removal-diy.html#post770597

Btw, I read through your thread, you want a Bentley Repair Manual (DVD-ROM) v. the paper Bentley Service Manual. Far more in depth, searchable, updateable, TSBs, and on and on. The capture is from that Manual. I have one for sale, current version, unopened, yet to be registered. Half the price of buying it from Bentley Publishing. $65 mailed anywhere in the Lower 48.

MORAV

1 - 20 of 46 Posts