VW Beetle Forum banner

Just got new 2006!

5K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  hestersu 
#1 ·
I went in to get a headlight fixed on my 2003 (AGAIN) and saw the '06s. After thinking it over for a few weeks I decided to go back and see what kind of deal I could get if I traded up. I had been there looking 2 more times (actually, the service took longer than expected so I had to go back once more anyway) so it wasn't really a spur of the moment thing :)

So far I like it. The sound system is nice. Love it in the dash (and in the trunk) and the new headlights are much more sleek...I'm sure I'll find more things and I'll post pictures later.

I was here (in the old forum) quite a bit when I got my '03 so I'll probably be around. I'm already thinking about all the cool mods I can do!

#2 ·
We

need

PICS!!!!!! :D

What color? What options? Tranny? Oh My Gosh! We need to know! :lol:

#5 · (Edited)
It's been raining since I got it or I would have taken pictures by now. It's not raining now but now we're covered in mud and have to have a bath! Anyway, my old car was a Sunflower Yellow 2003 GLS with a sunroof and grey leather interior. This one is a 2006 Sunflower Yellow (heh)5 cyl, 2.5 L with black leather interior and a sunroof...I changed one thing. I was quite proud myself on the last one because I installed the spoiler, CD player and several other litle mods. I know, those are simple but heck, I was proud! Hopefully I'll do the same for this one! This one has the Tiptronic transmission option which seems to be very cool but I haven't had the oppurtunity to use it yet.

I'm not a big mechanics person but I can tell this one has more kick than the other one. I'm assuming it's because it has an extra cylinder. My last one was just 4 if I'm not mistaken, this one is 5. The engine seems to grind a lot more though and the steering seems to have more play to it, which I don't like but I don't really remember how the other acted when it was new, could be a new car thing.

I don't like the location of the flasher button on the dash. I wish they would have kept it down where it used to be. It's darn annoying right in the middle. The seatbelt indicators are annoying too (they beep if you unbuckle for eternity it seems). The new cupholders are way more useful.

I got some weird solar panel thing in the trunk. I have no idea what it is but it looks neat. The trunk isn't closing properly so I'm going to visit the dealership soon to fix it and I'll ask them what it is and if I'm supposed to have it (since I was already a Beetle owner they pretty much shoved me out of the door without showing me anything. Last time they spent hours showing me a video and walking around the car with me...and I was in a hurry then, this time I wasn't).

#6 ·
the hazards button is on the dash because that's a european law. the whole point is it's easily accessible, and within reach if someone had to reach into your car and turn your hazards on.

the solar panel thing is for your battery. you plug it into your cigarrette lighter and attach the panel to your front windscreen. it keeps your battery charged if your car is sitting for long amounts of time (such as on a dealer lot).

#7 ·
trunk stuff

The panel thingy is a trickle charger. You plug it into one of the power outlets and stick it in a sun-facing window and it puts juice back into your battery. It's standard equipment with the '06. Why? It's a complete mystery to me. I thought the dealer had left it in there and tried to return it.

Our trunk is hard to close tightly, too. I think it's the seals, which I assume (hope!) will finally bed in. But, for now, we have to use two hands or give it a mighty slam.

We have a sunflower yellow TDi with gray leather. Nice combo!:)

#8 ·
Congrats on the upgrade. I don't know if I could get rid of Buttercup. I really love my car. Yeah, I know, It's just a car (man, I'll get razzed for that comment), but I'm quite attached to her. For me the changes are a bit too drastic for me to trade up. If anything. I would just buy an '06 vert to keep Buttercup company.

You've gotta post pics kid. And keep us posted on how she's/he's treating you.

#14 ·
Beeble said:
The panel thingy is a trickle charger. You plug it into one of the power outlets and stick it in a sun-facing window and it puts juice back into your battery. It's standard equipment with the '06. Why? It's a complete mystery to me. I thought the dealer had left it in there and tried to return it.

I didn't get one of those solor panels with my 06', should I be worried and should I go back to the dealer and ask for it? Thanks in advance for your input on this.:)

#19 ·
nice, but pointless

I'm not clear why they would include these in the first place. I guess if you're living in Alberta and leave your Beetle parked outside, in the sun, for days with a weak battery, it might be useful. For a car with a strong battery, it's irrelevant, and if you have a weak battery you have to (a) be able to park it somewhere sunny and (b) know ahead of time that it's about to die. An unlikely set of circumstances, IMO. I think that's why they're so easy to find on eBay.

#20 ·
Congrats on the new car. I got the trickle charger panel with my '03 beetle. I threw it in a drawer and never used it. I would leave my car sitting for weeks and even a few times, months. I never had a problem with my battery.

Enjoy the new car.

#22 ·
VW has the solar panel chargers on all VWs as a way to keep the batteries topped-up when they're sitting at port (whether in Brazil, Mexico, or Germany, or at final destinations in US and Canadian ports).

-Des

#24 ·
Out of the 2.8 ish years that I have had Zoomer I have NEVER had to use the Sun thing. Ive left my car (outside in the cold even) for 9 days without starting it (went to Italy :) ) so ... I dont think they are that important. Sure, the dealer was SUPPOSE to give you yours. But ... Im sure they are just reusing it for another bug or VW. I wouldnt worry too much. ;)

NOW ... WHERE ARE THOSE PICS?! (or did I miss something?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.