VW Beetle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
I think a plug in performance module; is the way to go, especially still being under warranty and the engine failure, you just experienced. If you have any more problems; you want to give them the least amount ammunition, to reject a warranty repair. I am interested in hearing; what you think, about the performance upgrade! Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Trust me

Trust me. You guys/gals will be the FIRST (well, I"ll be the first.........my son, second), but you guys/gals will hear all about it, pros/cons, FAST!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
AFter only a few miles.

I replaced the battery with an optima today. JUST about the time the mailperson dropped off my Neuspeed boost box.

So, I hurried up and installed the battery.

Popped the engine cover off the top, and proceeded to unplug and plug.
RPM plugin, no problem. Boost sensor, no problem, (being as I just installed a Neuspeed air intake, and none of the OEM air box was in the way.

BUT, the sensor on the turbo (which there are two).......IF you ever do this mod, it's NOT the lower one............it's the upper/higher one. (ask me how I know). :>(O

Anyway, after poking a hole in my hand, (via the tool I was utilizing to unhook./unlatch the OEM connector...........which I also broke the clip off.......DOH"._)

Long story short. Got it all back together. Zip tied nice n purty.
Started car up. All sorts of lites on. (assuming from having battery unplugged/swapped).
Was a little paranoid at first, but I got over it. LOL.

Went for a nice easy test drive. First 10 miles anyway.
Turned car around. Pounded it in 2nd gear from about 20 mph.
Yeah, LOTS faster then it was.

Did a nice pull in 4th. 50 to just under 100. LOTS faster then it was.

Got into town, after messing around a little more. Thought I"d try a 1st gear stand on it. NOPE. Instant tire squealing, and traction control coming on.
1st gear is pretty much useless.
2nd and 3rd gear roll ons are sweet as hell tho.

And, as far as everyone saying this is a 10 minute unplug, and take to your dealer.........whatever.
If you've done a nice job of putting wiring where you want it, zip tieing, etc, it's going to be a bit longer to UNDO the stuff , before you bring it in for whatever service you need done.

Just sayin.

So. Bottom line. Do I like it? Yes. Am I satisfied with its performance? Yes.

For now. I just ordered the Neuspeed pipe that goes from turbo to intake. (right off turbo/goes around front of engine). If you've looked at the OEM one, it gets squished to hell in front of engine.
Figured it'd be well worth the 180 buckaroos. Plus they said maybe another 10 hp? Hell. for that kinda money. I'm in.

NEXT on the agenda, is that setup/switch that TURNS OFF the traction control. What fun is that chit?

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Oh yeah, in case anyone asks, the warning lites that were ON, were steering wheel, something or other, (a little picture of steering wheel). The traction control lite. The ECM lite. And the low tire warning lite.

All of which went off about half a block, down the road when I started rolling.

It's fun tho. HARD as hell NOT to stab the throttle.............Like ALL the time. LOL.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
15,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
lol

Funny you should mention that.
As you were typing that, I was purchasing one. LOL.

Looks easy peasey to install too!

Woohooooooooo;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Sorry to bring up an old topic, new to forum some I’m not sure if this is allowed.

So I have a 2013.5 (gen3 2.0) Beetle. I added the USP Beetle Button. Traction control does turn off, so I know that part is working. I’m using obd eleven to try to have a short press to turn off the traction control and a long press to turn off esp/esc.

Tried this:

As well as this:

Thank You,
Greg!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts