NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sometimes both die on me... when i turn off the light switch and turn it back on both work again but since i can't see if the tails work while driving, this is not really a fix...
when standing i can't reproduce the LED tail light dying so i have no idea what the problem is, my guess is that it's something with the light switch or that both LED are faulty, but that both die at the same time everytime is really odd, no???

anyone had a similar experience???

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Did you also replace the turn signal lights with LEDs also?
Did you install the resistor kit with the LEDs? The LED tail/turn signal lights are a different resistance than the standard lamps. Most require a kit to be installed along with the LEDs. If not, the turn signal will flash very rapidly.
Are the LEDs snug in their sockets?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the turn signals are old school...

and the LED have the resitor built in... one just has to plug in the VW socket into the new tail light socket, looks the same as the old tails...

i suspect that the light switch somehow got messed up, maybe a coincidence??? maybe while installing the new tails the light switch went bad??? everytime i kill the lights and turn them back on ALL lights work fine, but after a certain time span the LED's go off... not the turn signal and not the LED brake lights(same as tail lights)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found the reason:

i found the reason:

when i have the lights on and start the motor i noticed that the current fluctuation makes the LED's go dark, but only sometimes, not always... so it's a current thing, and only the reagular tail light function, brake light and turn signal is unaffected...

but still i have no idea what the REAL CAUSE is... bummer...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well I put my LEDs and get this. The center brake light acts like a regular tail light now. On dim all the time(even with lights off) Then when brake applied its lights up brighter. After awhile it goes back to working normal. I dont get it.Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have the dim third/high brake light bulb all the time with the parking lights on. I just have the led 1157 bulbs that I bought from www.v-leds.com. Does anyone know what type of resistor to use?

·
363 Posts
The resistor kit is only needed if your car has a thermal flasher unit as distinct from an electronic unit. The thermal unit uses the electrical load to heat a bimetallic strip which makes the lights flash whilst the electronic unit is an independant switching unit. Are NBs that primitive that they have thermal units?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts