VW Beetle Forum banner

Just spent 1000.00 bucks and still wont run. HHHEEELLLPP

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I was the proud owner of a 2001 beetle. One day on the highway it felt like it dropped a cylinder made it home but it was guttless. It will idle great and rev to 2000 rpm then it bogs and starts to die. Code said random missfire on number 4. changed plugs, then plugwires then coil pack, then fuel pump. Still wont run....Same code same crap. I.ve run out of money and ideas. Can some one help me out??? Thanks. Darcy.

#2 ·
Please post any and all codes that are coming up from a full scan (what scanner are you using? Generic OBD II or VCDS?). Seeing everything that you have replaced (all the coil packs?); have you done a compression test of all the cylinders? Give us more info and any codes; hopefully, we can help going from there...

#3 ·
Im using a generic OBD 2 scanner. the codes are p-0300 p-0304. I can clear the codes and while it idles there is no check engine light.
When i give it throttle it will bog and eventually stall. Check engine light goes on and the p-0300 code comes up and will show 1,2,3,and4, cylinders intermitently. The car has 170 000 km on it and has up to now ran like a clock. I havenot checked the cylinder compression as of yet. Could it be the timing belt? Darcy.

#4 · (Edited)
Code definitions and possible causes/solutions:

16688/P0304/000772
Contents [hide]
1 16688/P0304/000772 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
1.1 Possible Causes
1.2 Special Notes
16688/P0304/000772 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

Possible Causes
Ignition system
Fuel injectors
Fuel pressure
Running out of fuel
EVAP canister purge valve
Evaporative emission system
Low compression
Base engine problems
Control Module damaged

Special Notes
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

16684/P0300/000768
Contents [hide]
1 16684/P0300/000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
1.1 Possible Causes
1.2 Possible Solutions
1.3 Special Notes
16684/P0300/000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Possible Causes
Air Intake System leaking
Fuel Supply faulty
Injector(s) faulty
Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty
Ignition Coil(s) faulty
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/open
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Misfire Recognition
Check Air Intake System
Check Fuel Supply
Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing
Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s)
Check Ignition Coil(s)
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
Special Notes
This DTC indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the ECU fails to identify the cylinder.

Before you start; did you do the work yourself or have a shop do the work? If a shop did it and it still isn't right... I would take it back to them and have them fix it correctly. If your on your own and are willing to do the work, then...

I think I would start going through a process of elimination:

1. compression test

2. fuel pressure test, make sure injector #4 is getting power and working correctly.

3. check ignition system; the wiring and coil packs themselves.

Look in the bentley service manual for testing procedures; fuel/compression tests will require tools you may not have; sounds like you are somewhere other then the USA, here in the states you can rent these tools from a local auto parts store... I would think they might do that other places as well. Otherwise, you could borrow one from a friend or buy one from a autoparts store.

Tell us more about what the history is on the repairs and which coils did you replace?

#6 ·
Have you changed the fuel filter? If it is stopped up it would mimic a bad fuel pump and wouldn't supply enough fuel to go past 2000rpm.

#7 ·
Before you spend any more money on parts- get a VAG-COM.
It's a huge comfort actually having the car tell you whats wrong, instead of being a "Beetle Whisperer".
The codes are stating misfire, but you need to monitor the engine real-time to determine their cause.
Group 015 and 016 specifically monitor the Misfire counts for each cylinder.
So you watch those as you rev the engine and determine if it is truly One cylinder, or multiples.
Frequently the code for Multiple is triggered in sympathy to the One cylinder that is causing the issue.
But in general, if the engine misfires at low RPM (especially under load accelerating) then it’s an ignition issue. If it cuts out at mid to upper rpm range its a fuel issue.
From your description it sounds like ignition, but you suggest that’s all been replaced.
Beetles are notorious for bad grounds/ poor battery life, the power source upsteam from the iginition.
Once again, you can monitor the voltage realtime at the same time you monitor misfires. If voltage is low when the misfires occur you’ve found the issue.
And lastly, with the age/mileage you have there is always the possibilty of vacuum leaks.
Give them a thorough inspection, I use a small mirror and a flashlight to check the Undersides of the hoses, especially at their ends/connectors. Found many that way that looked Good from the top side glance.

#8 ·
I did change the inline fuel filter. Didnt help.....Ive run out of skills and cash. I do all my own mechanical work, and Im totally stumped.I will check the hoses for vacuum leaks again. I only paid 1600.00 canadian for this car. Maybe its time to sell it off for parts and find something cheaper to work on? But Ive really grown attatched to this car. Oooohh crap.....

#10 ·
If you can, remove the 02 sensor from the manifold. See if it runs any better. They can be a bitch to remove, but its worth a shot. If it gets better, then your problem lies in the cat or pieces of cat stuck in other places. Did you hear any rattling noises prior to the car quitting on you? As mentioned above, do a compression test on at least cyl 1 and 4 as they can be accessed w/o removing plenum. I feel your pain, I have recently been through it with my car as well. Good luck!

#11 ·
Well.....it was a plugged cat converter. so I took it out and cut a window in it knocked out all the guts welded it up and put er back together. She purrs like a kitten. Blasted down the highway for a few hundred kilometers and no check engine light. Do I need to replace it with a new one or can I run it like this?

#12 · (Edited)
I don't know where you live but for it to work, you need to replace it; by modifying it, disabling it... you are breaking federal laws (here in the usa)! You certainly will not be able to pass any type of smog or inspection process. If you want your car to run properly; a working cat is a must, especially with everything is computer controlled these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection

There are some reasonably priced ones on ebay: comes with new flex tube and the whole down pipe.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_saca...ar_Truck_Parts_Accessories&Model=Beetle&rt=nc

or just replace the cat itself:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=...eetle+Catalytic+Converter&_osacat=0&_from=R40

The above prices for new seem very reasonable; I guess you could call a junk yard for a used one but for all the work involved, you are going to keep the car... new would seem the way to go but if your really strapped for cash, call around, see how much they will sell you one for. It would just be a drag to put a used one on and find it is clogged or damaged as well; then, your back to square one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.