NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 NB GL is now one year old. I've had only one problem. The passenger window wouldn't go back up - it would stick and then automatically go back down. I guess it thought something was in the way, like an arm or a head??? Anyway, the dealer fixed it. That is the only complaint I've had. I have very low mileage @ 5400 for the year. (I live 3 miles from work, and hubby likes to drive us around in his '68 Mustang instead of in the Bug.)

My question is for those of you who own a 2005 NB. Have you had any problems or defects? I'd like to know what to expect.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I've driven my 05 almost 21k in 9 months and I've had 0 major problems. Little stuff like a speaker has went, but nothing too bad that req'd Jenna to be out of action more than a few hours.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We've had:

• melted wire harness, which resulted in driver side headlamp turning off intermittently
  • had convertible top latch replaced due to excessive rattling
  • had passenger's window regulator replaced due to grinding noise
  • had fuel gauge sending unit replaced due to inaccuracy
  • had passenger side LED door-lock indicator replaced, due to VW technician breaking it
  • will be having rear quarter window regulators replaced, due to grinding noise
  • will be having driver side window regulator replaced due to occasionally not going up after closing door
Note that we have a 2005 NBC, so some of the issues here may not apply to non-NBC Beetles.

I've never had such an unreliable car in my life. VWs are nice cars, but I have to say their engineering and build quality sucks. This will likely be our first and last VW product.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well now, let's see....

Passanger side window, also kept going down. dealer adjusted pinch protection... Still kept going back down... Second try found window channel rubber too long... corrected.

Auxillary input for radio bad... 3 month backorder on part.

4 tries to get the rear hatch release adjusted correctly...

And here is the good one....

Instrument cluster went nuts, and had to be replaced. Dealer only had the car 4 days........

Car is only 4 months old... but was at 11,500 miles when cluster went....

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Zero zip nada!! The only thing I've had replaced is the rear cupholder and that was because I broke it with my 20 pound anatomy textbook(not an exaggeration!!). Daisy has almost 16,000 miles. Lots of fun to drive too!

Cori

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does anyone else out there think the doors on the NBC are especially fragile? Since the NBC's door windows are frameless, i suppose it slams "harder" than non-NBC Beetles. I always close the doors very gently, using the minimum force to actually close the door.

Early on when I would slam the doors shut like a normal car, I thought it was going to shatter. It makes the ugliest noise.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
We're careful closing any door. But, I feel that our doors are pretty solid.

Our '05 is an NBC. No major problems. Minor problem: Loose lock near back of driver door. Rattled from speaker use. Couldn't be tightened. Replaced, good as new. However, on a side note, when we took it to the dealer to get the lock installed, someone there hit our car! :mad: Luckily they took responsibility, and paid for the fix. Sheesh! :mad:

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
CoriBug said:
Zero zip nada!! The only thing I've had replaced is the rear cupholder and that was because I broke it with my 20 pound anatomy textbook(not an exaggeration!!). Daisy has almost 16,000 miles. Lots of fun to drive too!

Cori

Okay, I take that back. Somehow the base of the passenger seat plus some springs broke. Oops. I don't know how it happened.:confused: Getting it fixed this week. Other than that, nothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts