VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way home last night I stopped at the pizza shop to pick up a pie. Car was running fine up to that point.
I come out and it started up, ran for about 5 seconds then died and wouldn't start after that. Had to leave it there and got a ride home.

It wants to start but sounds like it's not getting fuel. I'll get over there today and check the fuel pump fuse and remove the back seat and see if I can hear any noise from the fuel pump.

I checked Rock Auto for pumps and they've got a bunch to choose from. Any recommendations as to which to buy or which to avoid would be appreciated.

To my surprise I haven't changed the fuel filter in 4 yiears. Is it possible it could clog badly enough to prevent it from starting? The parking at this place is a steep uphill grade, perhaps 15 degrees plus or minus, don't know if that could be a factor but figured I'd mention it.

Anyway any input would be appreciated as to causes of the problem or fuel pump manufacturers.

You all have a great day,
trshman

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, as usual, scan the car for trouble codes and see if that give you direction in your troubleshooting.

If you are going the fuel delivery route;

1. Turn the key on and put your hand on the fuel pump, see if is turning on. No activity?
2. Some people have hit the bottom of the gas tank and gotten a fuel pump to start working again. Still nothing?
3. I would go through the troubleshooting steps in the manual:
A. see if you are getting power to the fuel pump.
B. Check for correct fuel pressure and is it in spec?

Here is the manual pages for the fuel pump testing procedures: (click "next"; for the other pages and procedures)

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...m_information/specifications/system_pressure/

If the pump is working and pressure is in spec; I would test, to see if you are getting ignition spark. Hopefully, some trouble codes, would give you some direction.

Here is the testing procedures for the coils; which would indicate, whether or not you are getting spark:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa..._and_inspection/with_manufacturers_scan_tool/

Purchasing a fuel pump:

I just replaced one and I got a Bosch unit, it was made in China but was affordable and included the fuel gauge sending unit, it was a new integrated design.... I haven't seen before. It seems to be fine so far and the required tank seal, was included. I also; purchased a genuine vw pump from local dealer, before for my own car; it works fine but it has a separate fuel gauge sending unit and the tank seal is not included either. I put mine in and didn't replace the sending unit, I hoped to save some money by reusing the old one. Then, a couple of days later; the gauge started not working correctly! That forced me to buy the new sending unit and both ended up getting pretty expensive, doing the process over again was a drag! So, the Bosch is more cost effective; even though it was Chinese I was impressed with the price, parts included and quality. Time will tell; if they last a long time. The other option; is a oem VDO, which is the brand that came from the VW factory and is in every VW I have worked on. One brand to avoid is Airtex; which is typically sold at Autozone, among other parts stores. They seem to fail prematurely, with the primary issue being; they continue to work but don't maintain the needed pressure levels. Also, anything that is branded URO; stay away from, junk failure prone parts. So, I would go with Bosch or VDO. Typically, other aftermarket brands; tend to be more then the OEM VDO, Bosch or even the genuine VW parts. So, I don't see the reason to buy them and their quality, is questionable anyway... why they charge more for them, the factory VW parts is beyond me! Go figure!

Looking online; here is what I am seeing for your car: for the bosch amazon had a good price and the VDO AutohausAZ and RockAuto had a good deal, Amazon has the genuine VW pump for only $150! As always; I would use your VIN # and or engine code; to confirm the correct parts before ordering.

NOTE: these may not be the right part #'s; these are what came up; from a quick online search.

BOSCH Part # 69740

1J0919087J VDO-Siemens

1J0919087S genuine vw

Parts lookup:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/

http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/co...ement_parts/hidden/tecdoc_web_catalog_en.html

http://parts.vw.com/index.cfm?siteid=9

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Billymade,

In light of your response a "thank you" doesn't seem enough. But "Thank You" is all I can do. Really. The only thing you didn't do is buy the part and have it shipped to me. You've given me more than I expected and I appreciate that.

I've check a few things which continues to point to the pump e.g. the fuse is good; I hear no sound nor feel anything when turning on the ignition and trying to start the car; I removed the electrical connector to the pump and read power from terminals 1 and 4 so it's definitely looking like the pump.

Rock Auto has a number of pumps to choose from including a Bosch. I'll compare price and availability with the sources you've provided and order one today. Again thank you for your help and information. YOu have a great week.

trshman

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Cool, keep us informed as your troubleshooting and repair progresses. Another way to id your part; is you might look at the part number on old pump to help identify the pump you need. Lastly, be sure to get a new seal and fuel filter (note: remember the Bosch unit; in my case, came with the tank seal and sending unit).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts