NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Jeep Cherokee Luvr
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:

My girlfriend (Daizybug) just purchased an 05 GLS. Growing up arond cars I have always considered my self to have an advanced knowledge of auto maintance and have focused on electrical and fuel systems

Anyways, I swear by K&N filters (not the cone style but the drop in replacemnts) and have found htm to offer a really good bang for the buck in a slight increase in both horsepower and gas mileage not to mention longer life.

I did a search on here and did not see anyone else talking about using them...

Has anyone used them and if so waht were their results?

Thanks y'all

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have one in my 2.0, and it is the drop-in. I actually found mine at Wal-Mart of all places. I think that I had to go to K&N's website and then get the filter number and go find it at Wal-mart since our store did not have a book.

Of course I thought I felt a noticeable power difference. I don't know if I really gained anything or not, but I guess if I think I am feeling better power that's what I am looking for!

I did notice a slight improvement in mileage, very slight though. Maybe 1-2 mpg difference, which could be a diffence in each fill.

I guess this isn't very helpful. I like having mine knowing that I have the best filter in there I can, and for 40 odd bucks it's not going to break you.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
They make'm. People use'm. If you really like'em go get one. :)

I'm not a big fan myself; but I've currently got one in for lack of anything better at the moment.

Just be VERY careful when it comes time to clean & oil it. Make sure it's DRY when you're done, cause our MAF sensor's are VERY touchy when it comes to contaminants.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have the drop in type K&N, didnt notice changes in performance, or mileage...but where i did find change was in my pocket! i paid about 45 usd for the filter, and here in mex, the replacement filter costs about 11 usd so every 2500km i cleaned it and if you consider it, its like buying a new paper filter, right? so i have cleaned my K&N about 10 times, 10 times a saved 11 usd, so yeah, its worth it.and it doesnt have any sign of wear or so, so itll last about 100000 km i think...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a drop-in in my wife's '01 NB. Have them in all my vehicles. Some like them-some don't. It's a personal preference. Just wanted to respond to the"I may be slow, but I'm not a Honda. HONDA stands for Had One Never Did Again.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
rzalone said:
HONDA stands for Had One Never Did Again.
odd, i thought honda stood for How Odd No Damn Acceleration. :D

i have a drop in K&N and it sux. does nothing but make a more airy intake note. also not good for the engine as it lets in more dust and impurities then a stock filter. basically, you add to the longevity of your engine with a stock filter.

·
2.0L 5 Speed - MT
25 Posts
I have a K&N Cone Filter installed on my Beetle. I've already cleaned it & reoiled it once, with no problems whatsoever

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
I have had K&Ns in my 2.0 and 1.8 for tens of thousands of miles with no problem. I'll probably switch back to paper though.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
speedie said:
I have had K&Ns in my 2.0 and 1.8 for tens of thousands of miles with no problem. I'll probably switch back to paper though.
any particular reason why, aside from throwing away an old paper one is easier than cleaning and re-oiling a K&N?

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
I don't think that it is doing much performance wise for my car...the re-oiling thing has me concerned as well.

·
2.0L 5 Speed - MT
25 Posts
Well after the last re-oiling it seems I overdid it, and bang CEL on the dash just
a few minutes after, went to the dealer and bought a new MAF,
no problems since, but beware of excess oil.

Almost forgot, throttle body does get dirty with this filter rather quick,
so more maintenance is required.

49 Posts
Well after the last re-oiling it seems I overdid it, and bang CEL on the dash just
a few minutes after, went to the dealer and bought a new MAF,
no problems since, but beware of excess oil.

Almost forgot throttle body does get dirty with this filter rather quick,
so more maintenance required.
You must have lots of $$$$.
A can of MAF cleaner costs ~ $10, and you might have been back in business.
Just be careful with the MAF, it is delicate. If you break one of the filiments, you will be buying a new one.

·
Registered
605 Posts
As sacreligous as it is, I am a fan of Honda's and VW's. My B18c DOHC Integra Motor would dust my Beetle. It would crush a 1.8t beetle as well. Why? Power to weight ratio. All VW's are very heavy. By the time the Beetle gets going I'm at 7k RPM's and roaring down the freeway. VW gives a lil more torque, but the weight of the car destroys any difference made.

In any case, dont get me wrong, I do love my Beetle and any VW to death. Just a little disappointed how vastly underpowered these things are... The love for VW is greater, however I will never say a bad thing about Honda, they are simple and easy!

·
Registered
605 Posts
odd, i thought honda stood for How Odd No Damn Acceleration. :D

i have a drop in K&N and it sux. does nothing but make a more airy intake note. also not good for the engine as it lets in more dust and impurities then a stock filter. basically, you add to the longevity of your engine with a stock filter.
I actually raced one of these in my TEG, surprisingly quick, unfortunately it still lost.

·
Canadian New Member
951 Posts
I actually raced one of these in my TEG, surprisingly quick, unfortunately it still lost.
I would rather sacrifice some acceleration for safety anytime... Gettting back to the OP's original question though.... I have used many K&N drop-in filters over the years and not had a problem but with the newer engines in VW's the MAFs are very sensitive to the oil contained in K&N filters and will clog your MAF if over oiled so beware of this if you use one......... Getting in an accident in a honduh is like crunching an aluminum pop can.......In a VW its like a steel pop can that can't be crunched.....P.S. An NB has a five star crash rating = Safer....

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Almost forgot throttle body does get dirty with this filter rather quick,
Hmmm, so they let more dirt past the filter but it won't all magically stop at the throttle body, just imagine what gets into the cylinders....

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would rather sacrifice some acceleration for safety anytime... Gettting back to the OP's original question though.... I have used many K&N drop-in filters over the years and not had a problem but with the newer engines in VW's the MAFs are very sensitive to the oil contained in K&N filters and will clog your MAF if over oiled so beware of this if you use one......... Getting in an accident in a honduh is like crunching an aluminum pop can.......In a VW its like a steel pop can that can't be crunched.....P.S. An NB has a five star crash rating = Safer....
VW's are very safe. They're good cars. However, I have to disagree with the "tin-can" Honda. My 98 LS B18c, after I did a bunch of work to the car; I rolled it into a creek doing 97 mph in 3rd gear into a turn. I rolled 4 times, upside down in a creek, pulled it out, and the only real damage was the front axle fell off. Body damage was amazingly minimal. Car didnt crunch, budge, bend, or break.

The Beetle has way more airbags, its heavier, which makes it safer, however, Honda's are getting 5 star crash ratings as well, with still a good 1000 lbs less weight.

Volkswagen still gets the greatest love from me! I will never say anything bad about Honda, I cant find a logical reason to do so.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts