NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
It's what the people want
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and older sister to my 2000 New Beetle, Valerie-Sunflower!

When I bought Karen in 2009, she had been done up in the Cal Look style. Aside from some rust repair (which is still on-going - the last of it is hiding out of sight under the floors) and some minor mechanical work, the last two years have been primarily dedicated to bringing her back to stock.

I'm happy to let you know that as of July of this year, 40 years to the exact month of her manufacture date, SHE IS FINISHED. Just a few rust projects lingering, but she is again 100% stock.

The list of things I had to change back:

INTERIOR:
1. Replace Porsche leather seats with stock seats.
2. Replace Porsche steering wheel with stock steering wheel.
3. Replace Chinese knock-off Hurst shifter with stock shifter.
4. Remove stereo speaker wiring, remove CD player, replace with Starfire AM radio and monaural speaker (I never bothered mounting the speaker since I don't use the radio even though it works perfectly, I just hooked it all up once to test & now it's there "for looks").
5. Remove retractable seat belts (with busted spools), replace with stock style non-retractable belts (chrome lift latch).
6. Reinstall matching rear lap belts (rear belts were 100% removed when I bought her).
7. Replace missing rear ashtray with a stock chrome pop-out ashtray.
8. Replace rear assist straps & hooks for front shoulder belts (had been removed).
9. Remove tachometer from under dash (PO did this before delivery).

EXTERIOR:
1. Replace chrome headlamp rings that had been painted over (matched body color).
2. Replace trunk lid emblem which had been painted over (black).
3. Replace eight-spoke alloy wheels with stock steel rims (4.5" four lug) & hubcaps.
4. Replace front & rear "blades" with proper mounting brackets & chrome bumpers (yes, I know the rubber strip is missing in the pictures).
5. Replace drop spindles with stock height spindles, raise car back up so I'm no longer putting dents in the front end when driving over anything more than 1" off the ground

MECHANICAL:
1. Replace piece of junk chrome air filter with stock oil bath air cleaner.
2. Replace incorrect 31 carb & adapter plate with a 34P3 carb.
3. Replace mechanical advance distributor with proper SVDA.
4. Replace exhaust header & glasspack side pipe with proper stock muffler (ceramic coated) and stainless steel "pea shooters."

Attachments

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the "Before" pictures (meaning before I started bringing her back to stock). I'm glad I could see past all this foolishness to her true potential :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Excellent!

WOW! Nice Resto!

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Work in progress, but the cosmetics are 100% done, now it's just the last of the lingering car cancer (rust).

The worst of the rust (as far as I can tell) is all floor pan, and thankfully it's not the entire pan. I've got some stable orange surface rust on the driver's side / interior, but it's pitting or flaking. On the under side, I've got a few areas that went all the way through & were patched with roofing tar by a previous owner, so those will have to be cut & weld patched (the worst is under the battery). I've also got a few small holes in the lower portion of the body tray (rear wheel wells). I've already had the entire frame head rebuilt, which was TOAST. The center tunnel is pretty solid from the outside, but could still use a shot of rust treatment inside from end to end to KEEP it solid. My mechanic said the engine mounting points are solid (had to remove the engine once to replace blown thermostats & do the clutch).

The driver's side heater channel is pretty bad, but I'm hoping it can still be salvaged with some cut-and-patch work. The holes only seem to go through the outer surface; the channels still carry heat just fine. There is a small hole in the driver's side door sill, so that will be patched with the channel. The passenger side is super clean.

Thankfully, Karen-Starshine is a model 1300, and was the most basic, bare-bones they offered, which means she doesn't even have carpet (just the glue-on panels in the foot well and over the heater channels & center hump), the floors just have rubber mats (the ORIGINAL stock VW mats, with the logo & stock numbers embossed on them!). Not having to deal with carpet replacement will make the job easier.

The body was pretty solid as far as rust, all that had to be fixed so far was a hole rotted through the rear driver's side under the crescent moon vent, the rear driver's side fender was cracked (weld & grind), and there was some browning around the edges of the fenders that just needed to be sanded before being painted. The trunk has some stable surface browning that I'll deal with later (just needs a sand & seal).

Since she's garage kept and only driven on clear, sunny days (except the rare occasions the weather turns on me & I get caught in the rain), I take the rust projects about $1,500.00 a year, one at a time, At this rate, she should be as rust free as she'll ever be within about 2-3 years.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple of pictures I took the other day while installing my vintage style blumenvasen (bud vase) in my '71. You may not realize it, but the reason the New Beetles came with bud vases is probably because the blumenvasen was such a popular accessory in the '50s and '60s.

To get it to fit in my '71 (which have a different dash), I actually had to remove part of the dash board through the trunk, attach the blumenvasen to the speaker grille, and then re-install the whole thing. Only took about 15-20mins and I think is totally worth it :D

Attachments

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Very good progress so far! I really like the way, how you restore your Beetle back to stock condition :)

Beetle without bumpers is not complete in my opinion; it just needs proper bumpers! Also original steering wheel with Wolfsburg crest logo is just much cooler than that Porsche item :)

Stock or near stock old Beetle is my favorite!

Glad to see that there is still a original style stereo in your dash. I don´t like when some Beetle owners cut some metal out of the dash to fit newer stereo in. My old Beetle has modern stereo, but it is hidden underneath the dash (old stereo is still there) :)

Oh, that new flower vase with sunflower is excellent :cool:

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Very nice! I am impressed at how you've kept it so original looking. The bud vase is great!
Barb

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Beautiful restoration! You should be very proud! :bowdown:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Excellent job on the restoration work, it's nice to see that you restored her back to stock original condition. The bud vase with the sunflower is a nice touch, too:)

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drove Karen to work the other day to show her of to some co-workers who still hadn't seen her yet, and decided to drive up to the nearest VW dealership on my lunch break to check out an 2012 bugs they had on the lot.

I'd already decided a while ago I was getting a 2012 in the spring when I got my bonus at work, but hadn't yet seen a yellow one with the slotted & chrome "heritage wheels" up close and personal. I MUST OWN THIS CAR, NOW. NOT SURE IF I CAN WAIT UNTIL SPRING.

When I first pulled up next to the black one, one of the sales guys came out & said there was a yellow one around the other side of the building. I had to "chase" it to the parking area, and once I stopped next to it, the dealership emptied out into the street to check out my girl next to her soon-to-be baby sister :)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts