NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been in contact with a VW Dealer, and after talking to a locksmith referred by said VW Dealer, I am attempting to locate the SKC(security key code) for our 1999 VW Beetle. I have been given two(2) sites to locate the SKC. One is on the existing key. The second is on the Exterior door handle. However, I have also been told that there is no SKC on either the key nor on the handle for a 1999 Beetle, that the VIN will determine the key code.

I am hopeful that someone can shed some light as to where I can locate the SKC.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Having been in contact with a VW Dealer, and after talking to a locksmith referred by said VW Dealer, I am attempting to locate the SKC(security key code) for our 1999 VW Beetle. I have been given two(2) sites to locate the SKC. One is on the existing key. The second is on the Exterior door handle. However, I have also been told that there is no SKC on either the key nor on the handle for a 1999 Beetle, that the VIN will determine the key code.

I am hopeful that someone can shed some light as to where I can locate the SKC.
The dealer can order you a key based of VIN #.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The one with the key was on a small plastic tag with that scratch off stuff attached to the keys when the car was delivered to the original owner. Most of those are long gone.

The code is also supposed to be on the lock cylinder in the drives side door handle. You have to loosen the small screw under a small rubber plug on the door frame(its one of those t screws takes a multipoint bit I don't remember the size offhand)
Don't take the screw all the way out jus loosen it enough to be able to slide the "button" (where you put the key) out of the door handle assembly and there should be a 4 digit code on it.

Or as BME says let the dealer use your vin to order a key.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks VDubYah for the information on the door lock cylinder. I was able to slide out the door lock unit, just as you described, and did locate some numbers. Not sure at this point if they are the key code or not. Was told by a locksmith that the 1999 VW Beetles did NOT have a key code on the door lock cylinder. I am attempting to determine if the numbers are the key code.
I appreciate the responses received.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts