NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
icamon43
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought myself a 2002 VW New Beetle GLS and I am loving it so far! An issue I am having is with the hatchback door. The previous owner had the mechanism replaced because it stopped working. Now the hatchback will not respond when I push the button on the key fob to open it. I have to pull the button on the door, but I have always pull it twice before it will open. I've heard there's a way to re-program the key fob, but I can't figure out how to do this for the hatchback door (it locks and unlocks the driver/passenger doors just fine.) Does anyone have a how-to to re-program the hatchback button? And any advice as to how to adjust the mechanism so it will open for me the first time? Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I know its a silly question, but are you holding the button for a few seconds on the remote to open the trunk?

·
icamon43
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your silly question! I did not realize you had to hold down the button, now it is responding to the remote. Unfortunately, it still is not opening easily (have to push the button once, yank on the door, push the button again, then I'm able to pry it open) and I have to slam the door to get it closed, and usually don't get it completely closed on the first try :( I can live with it but it would really be great if there was a way I could fix this. Any advice?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Make sure the stops are adjusted up. Get the rear hatch opened up, on the body side, you will find these plastic "wedges" bolted to the body (T30 torx as I recall). On the rear lid you will find the rubber wedges that line up with the body's plastic wedges when the rear lid is closed.

So loosed up the T30 bolts for the plastic wedges on the body and adjust the wedges up as high as they can go. This will put more pressure on the rear lid when in a closed position.

Now for the more long winded part of this post... when you go to release the rear lid, a servo motor pulls on the latch to pop it loose, then after maybe after 2 seconds the servo motor powers down and lets the latch return to a locking state.

The latch has two catches in it, or two different points that it clicks down and locks. When you have the rear lid closed, the latch is rolled to the second catch.

What should happen when you release the rear lid is that it pops up enough of that both catches of the latch are cleared. But if it doesn't pop up enough, it will clear the second catch, but not the first one, so when the servo motor powers down and the latch returns to a locking state, that first catch is engaged. This gives you a rear lid is not fully closed, but you can't lift it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts