NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry - wasn't too sure where to post this, as it can really apply to any beetle so I'm posting it here so that hopefully more will read it.
So back it October, I had some ongoing issues with my 2006 Beetle's driver side door and after 2 opinions, one from the dealer and one from a local mom and pop that I trust, I was told I needed a new door latch. Well I love my beetle and hope to get many more years out of it and plan on keeping it even after I eventually get a new car one day. So to me it was worth fixing. It was not cheap, so we made sure that we tested the key fob etc to make sure it wasn't causing the issues that I was having with the door and sure enough it wasn't. It was for sure the door.

Now fast forward to March. The door latch has been fixed for several months and has been operating perfectly and then all of a sudden I was leaving work last night and could not unlock my car with the key fob. But I could lock it, and open the trunk. And, I can use the key. Also the unlock and lock buttons on the door panel on the inside of the door work fine. So naturally, I called the people who did the work on the door latch and they think it's an issue with the fob and not the door latch.

Has anyone experienced this before? They want me to go get my fob checked out by interstate batteries to check for a battery issue. But, my other fob has been doing this for years and the dealership told me that it can't be the battery because when the battery goes all the buttons don't work. But now I have 2 key fobs both with non working unlock buttons but all the other buttons working just fine. Is it possible that the button is just worn out and it's not the battery?

I wold really appreciate any information anyone can provide on this...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Put the key in the lock and turn to open. Press and hold the unlock button on the fob. Car may beep. That may reset it...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I may try that if I go to interstate and there is no battery problem. If I reset it do I have to do anything to reprogram it to the car?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called the dealership this morning and was told "oh no ma'am there's no way it could be the battery. If it was the battery all buttons wouldn't work not just one."
So, before going to go order a new fob, I took it over to interstate to have a battery test ran on it. The guy says, this battery is toast. Puts a new one in and says "go try it now", and magically it works. Our dealership in town kinda has a reputation, which is why I don't get service done there unless it's a recall or something along those lines, but I guess this just goes to show always get a second opinion...It was the battery all along. The dealership didn't even want to test the battery because they were so set in their minds that there was no way it could be the battery.

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
That's interesting I wouldn't expect a bad battery to make some of the buttons work but not others. I would expect it to be all or nothing.

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
That's interesting I wouldn't expect a bad battery to make some of the buttons work but not others. I would expect it to be all or nothing.
Yeah, that's the funny thing, it doesn't work that way. I test key fobs at work with a signal tester. When the battery's start to go, the keys do not have any pattern to them when we test. Lock has partial signal, then no signal, then a good signal.

But kelleygraves was correct to not trust the person she talked with at the dealership. The only way to know is to test it, period.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that's the funny thing, it doesn't work that way. I test key fobs at work with a signal tester. When the battery's start to go, the keys do not have any pattern to them when we test. Lock has partial signal, then no signal, then a good signal.

But kelleygraves was correct to not trust the person she talked with at the dealership. The only way to know is to test it, period.
Something just didn't feel right, ya know? I wasn't going to just settle for oh well you need a new key fob! It just didn't feel right. I didn't expect it to be the battery either, because I really thought it would be all or nothing too, but I'm sure glad it was!

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Yeah I would hate to replace a keyfob. I would replace the battery first regardless before replacing one. If it doesn't work at least you tried :bigthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts