NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have 2000 NB 2.0 GLS. My NB came with a key, but the fob itself was wrecked. I desperately want a remote lock. Can I get a new key? Where? How does it get programmed? What does it all cost? Help! :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
See this thread:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/59914-key-question.html

You will need to read through the whole thing and the links. The info in my post #2 is not quite complete, since with an immobilizer you will need a key code that came on the original key chain with the car in order to program the new key for the immobilizer. The dealers aren't even supposed to be able to retrieve it from the car, but there is software available to hack the car and get the code.

I saw someone else suggest taking the RFID chip out of a working key and taping it to the dash near the lock cylinder. Then you can remove the RFID from a replacement remote key and not have to worry about programming the immobilizer. The immobilizer will be effectively defeated and no longer be a theft deterrent. You will still have to program the door unlock, but no codes are needed and you can do it yourself with the VCDS software.

Good luck! Replacement keys are a very big issue with these cars after the immobilizer was added in 2000.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all! I have 2000 NB 2.0 GLS. My NB came with a key, but the fob itself was wrecked. I desperately want a remote lock. Can I get a new key? Where? How does it get programmed? What does it all cost? Help! :)
What excatly does the fob is wrecked mean? If you need a new case you can get them on ebay and replace the insides of your current key to the new case.

My Beetle only came with some weird aftermarket key when i bought her. I just bought a key from AARodriguezCorp.com paid $40 and had it cut at a locksmith to match the key for $35. then I followed the Fob Programming instructions on youtube using the key that came with the car in the ignition and programming the fob in the driver door. That worked to get the new fob programmed to the car. It must be a master key and not a valet key.

Afterwards I needed to activate the RFID in the new key. Using Vag tacho software i pulled the SKC out of the car and used VCDS to activate the key. I kept my aftermarket key as an emergency key.

All said and done the I spent $125, which saved me a bit as the dealer wanted $197 for the keyfob and $120 to program it. Goodluck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts