NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Getring a key cut, is just solving the key going into the key tumbler but the car win't start; then there is the rfid chip and programming the immobilizer, key matching.

More info here:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might as well get the whole thing from Volkswagen. I didn’t think these keys had a chip.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
You can check with your local Volkswagen dealer but many key fobs have been discontinued and are no longer available, as a genuine vw replacement part. That being said you can use online sources like tunemyeuro or sidewinderkey and they can make keys for you but they would be aftermarket (they would work fine). Once the keys are cut; then you have to have the programming done, so the immobilizer would work and the car starts successfully. The quickest and easiest way would be to contact a local mobile auto locksmith and have them make the keys, then do the key matching/programming for you.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
The rfid chip/immobilizer and remote wireless feature (e.g. unlock the door), are two different things, a new key will need to have the immobilizer programmed to recognize the key, programming with vagtacho, vcds will be needed. As noted, a local auto locksmith; would be able to do everything for you and would be the least hassle way to go. The video is showing the matching process for the key fob wireless functionality; not programming the immobilizer. Sometimes the "two key method"; works but i ended up, having to use vcds, to get that to work, as well. The rfid/ chip (which communicates with the immobilizer), doesn't run on the key fob battery or the circuit board inside the key fob and is non powered, (technically) it is functionally separate from the key fob, aside from the fact, it is glued inside the key fob shell.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Check out this key fob programming guide for more info:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to a locksmith this morning but he couldn’t help and gave the number to a locksmith that would remove the ignition to cut the new key and not even use the VIN number.

Here’s the FOBs I bought off of Amazon:

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
If you don't get anywhere; tunemyeuro or sidewinder key, can cut them for you. You might disassemble your new key fobs and see, if they actually have the RFID chip inside.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Last fall I ordered a new key and key fob from my local VW dealer for our '05 NBC. I think it cost me something like $250 for the part and for them to program the car to accept it. They had trouble with that and had to contact their technical support at VW to get it programmed. It's insane that this is so hard to do, but it's more secure than just a regular key.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An Amazon customer asked:
Q:Does this have the circuit board and Immobilizer chip?
A: Hi Brian, this key fob comes with electrics including circuit board and chip. Best Regards.---------MushanTeam

·
Registered
703 Posts
Keep in mind even if the rfid chip comes with the key it still needs to be programmed. tunemyeuro.com would be my choice for that kind of help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called a locksmith this morning and he came out to take care of everything. “Marilyn” fired right up! I

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn’t have a key so he had to break in to “Marilyn” my 2004 Beetle then use his tools to make a new key after taking the lock out of the door jam.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$180 since I paid cash. That’s nothing compared to the money that the bank just stole from me when they denied the existence of my account.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts